ProgPower fans at a recent Fozzy show

Ruthven

Sep 13, 2003
Fozzy, the Atlanta-based band made up of Stuck Mojo alumni and Chris Jericho, played in my hometown of Chattanooga Saturday night. I am not a huge Fozzy fan, but since they are a melodic metal band and I heard that they put on a fun live show, I wanted to show some support.

I don't know anything about wrestling, but do know that Chris Jericho has excellent taste in metal. So, I wore my Edguy shirt, hoping that I would meet other fans of power metal. And I did - namely, the band members themselves! I saw one Chattanooga metal fan that I knew of, but most of the shirts people had on were either wrestling oriented or for bands like Godsmack. So it turns out that the big power and prog metal fans were the bands.

The opening act was an Atlanta area band named American Devils. They weren't bad. Their sound was a little too modern American hard rock for my personal tastes, but they were good and it was obvious that they were metal fans. Between sets, one of the band members yelled "EDGUY!" and came over to talk to me. We started talking about ProgPower and the upcoming Nightwish/Sonata Arctica tour. Cool guy.

So Fozzy came on, and during the show Chris Jericho pointed at my shirt and gave me a "thumbs up." After the show, I met Rich Ward (finally - I've admired his guitarwork for years) and he asked me if I had seen Edguy at ProgPower earlier this year. I told him yeah, and that I was surprised that he was a fan of that style. He then waxed eloquent about Symphony X and how he loved the festival. Later on, Jericho was talking to some fans on the side of the stage, and he looked up and said, "Hey man, have you seen Edguy play live yet?" I told him that I did at ProgPower, and he agreed that it was a cool festival.

I have to say it was one of the more unusual shows I have been to. The crowd was kind of small, but dedicated. Not surprisingly, many of them seemed to be there because of the wrestling aspect more than the metal. There was this one overzealous guy who kept waving some wrestling magazine in the air and asking Jericho for an autograph...during the show itself. No, he wasn't drunk. In fact he didn't look like a drinker. But he was odd. At one point, Jericho jumped off stage to interact with the crow, and the guy followed him around, saying, "Get your autograph, Chris?" while the man was singing. It was truly one of the weirdest things I have ever seen at a show.

Yea Fozzy is fucking awesome, I love them. A bit worried that on the next album theres some guest rapper but ehh. Chris Jericho is metal one hundred percent, in his column for Metal Edge he would talk about Eduy, Helloween, Blind Guardian and stuff like that all the time. Hell, there was even an interview with BG about how he got all star struck when he was on the same flight as Hansi Kursch. If he would drop wrestling and become a real full time metal singer I would support him hands down. Actually, thanks for reminding me of Fozzy Im gonna bring their cds on my 12 hour road trip to and fro San Antonio today. Man this is gonna suck.

Ben

lemmyjr said:
i met rich ward at the last progpower,very cool guy!

"The Duke" seemed like a very cool, very appreciative person. He really went out of his way to talk to anyone who came up to meet him.

I didn't know Jericho was that into power metal. I knew he liked it but this news makes me happy. Two years ago he was on the Eddie Trunk show and they were talking callers questions. Eddie never played power metal at the time so I would do anything to mention these bands on air. I got on and said "Chris im a big fan and I will be seeing you at Survivor Series tommorow night" (I had tickets to the PPV). Then I asked him what he thinks of the European power metal scene and bands like Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, and Grave Digger. He went on to talk about Blind Guardian and being a huge Nightfall in Middle Earth fan. He didnt mention anything about the other two but then went on to play some classic Helloween. So I figured he liked the music but didnt know much about it. Maybe he has learned more since then. Im glad to hear he likes Edguy. Thats just awesome.

I'd really like to see these guys again in a more social setting. That's not likely to happen because Jericho is some popular wrestler guy, but he seemed like a friendly guy who just happens to love power and progressive metal. Can never have too many friends like that! :)

Unless I'm mistaken, Chris Jericho was at the infamous "fire marshal" Dream Theater show, where the power got cut and the crowd basically sang "The Spirit Carries On" (and then the show ended for real). You can apparently hear Jericho raising a ruckus on the bootleg tape, along with the rest of the audience. :)