ProgPower USA XIII - Magazine and CD Sampler - Comments/Thoughts?

Claus / Intromental

20 years of uniting the powers of metal
Hey all,
I hope everyone made it home safe and that you all have had some time to relax after the festival.

Did anyone have time to listen to the CD Samplers yet, or read the magazine?

A lot of time went into conducting and transcribing the interviews (Milton and Zod), getting all the bands and labels to participate in the sampler and/or book advertisement in the magazine (my wonderful wife - Tess), mastering the CD (Lance), and doing all the artwork for CDs as well as the entire magazine (yours truly). It's awesome to see it all come together, so now I'm curious to hear what YOU think of it ...

Thanks,
Claus

PS: a huge thank you to our amazing sponsors (Warren & ADS Group, Zane & CDInzane), all the bands and labels participating, and of course Glenn and Jen :)

I listen to the sampler on the way home, the only bands I really enjoyed were Gothic Knights,and the Live Mob Rules, but I do love the fact , that so many bands get to promote their music like that , at the largest metal fest in the USA to every person there. I'm going to go through it again see if i missed anything.

I always love reading the book that comes with it all the interviews and the ads make me learn , things about bands that i find cool or interesting,and the ads let me look up new band or just new albums from bands. It also comes in handy when you don't have a hard copy of a bands album, but want to meet them they can sign it. I remember it used to have a spot on each bands page for signing, and i think it should just because,that way they don't sign over the interview. but all in all the fact that they are free is something you just can't complain about. I still have my cd and book from my 1st ppusa 3 and its not glossy is just like a newpaper kind of so that tells you that it has come a long way and i love the collection that i have of them, I think i might go back and read some old ones while i have them out.

I listen to the sampler on the way home, the only bands I really enjoyed were Gothic Knights,and the Live Mob Rules, but I do love the fact , that so many bands get to promote their music like that , at the largest metal fest in the USA to every person there. I'm going to go through it again see if i missed anything.

I always love reading the book that comes with it all the interviews and the ads make me learn , things about bands that i find cool or interesting,and the ads let me look up new band or just new albums from bands. It also comes in handy when you don't have a hard copy of a bands album, but want to meet them they can sign it. I remember it used to have a spot on each bands page for signing, and i think it should just because,that way they don't sign over the interview. but all in all the fact that they are free is something you just can't complain about. I still have my cd and book from my 1st ppusa 3 and its not glossy is just like a newpaper kind of so that tells you that it has come a long way and i love the collection that i have of them, I think i might go back and read some old ones while i have them out.

I loved the book as always, and the sampler was good as well. Well done to all involved.

But one question, did you really call PPUSA the biggest metal festn in the US? No offense intended by the question as I love the fest.

did you really call PPUSA the biggest metal festn in the US? No offense intended by the question as I love the fest.
t

Well maybe its not the biggest as far as how many bands go, but without a doubt the biggest as far as made for the fans I mean the set signing sessions, I have met some of my biggest heroes in music that way, biggest as far as bringing first time bands to the USA, and biggest as far a heart goes,the PPUSA family really does look out for its fans and does everything they can to respect them and make them happy. Plus I'm from south GA so its like 3 hours away.

All the other big metal fest in the US are mostly just shitty death metal bands,and not really my thing anyway. PPUSA at least stirs things up.

t

Well maybe its not the biggest as far as how many bands go, but without a doubt the biggest as far as made for the fans I mean the set signing sessions, I have met some of my biggest heroes in music that way, biggest as far as bringing first time bands to the USA, and biggest as far a heart goes,the PPUSA family really does look out for its fans and does everything they can to respect them and make them happy. Plus I'm from south GA so its like 3 hours away.

All the other big metal fest in the US are mostly just shitty death metal bands,and not really my thing anyway. PPUSA at least stirs things up.

That makes more sense, but Maryland Deatufest is probably the biggest pure metal fest in america, and has a bunch of great bands playjng this year, calling them shitty just because you don't like death metal (which isn't all Deathfest is despite the name, it's actually just as varied as PPUSA).

I agree that the band interaction at PP is unique outnof the fests I have gone to, which is why I keep coming back aside fro seeing friends I wouldn't otherwise see.

i said mostly, because it is mostly a bunch of filler crap death metal bands, that no one really cares about,or has ever heard of. There are some good bands there, but I think i would rather see 12 or 13 good bands , than a bunch of filler bands to see 5 good bands out of 30 or so bands.

i said mostly, because it is mostly a bunch of filler crap death metal bands, that no one really cares about,or has ever heard of. There are some good bands there, but I think i would rather see 12 or 13 good bands , than a bunch of filler bands to see 5 good bands out of 30 or so bands.
To someone who's not a fan of the prog and power genres, the average ProgPower roster would look like 2 or 3 good bands and a bunch of filler.

If you're not a fan of extreme metal, it's obvious that you wouldn't be familiar with the up and coming/niche bands of death metal, black metal, and grind. It's flat out ignorant to attack MDF's roster just because you don't like extreme metal.

Back on topic - I've yet to listen to the sampler, but the program was awesome, as usual. Zod and AngraRULES do a fantastic job with the interviews, seamlessly integrating questions that appeal to people who are already knowledgeable about a given band with introductory information for those unfamiliar with a band. It's always a pleasure to read.

To someone who's not a fan of the prog and power genres, the average ProgPower roster would look like 2 or 3 good bands and a bunch of filler.

You make a good point

but not liking something at attacking it is what everybody does, if you don't like an actor you will say his movies suck, just because you don't like it. If you don't like the singer Pink, and someone does you might say it sucks because you don't like that kind of music. It something everyone does all the time, I didn't mean to make you mad,or anything its just the way every person is. I mean no disrespect to any of the bands ive never heard of, im sure they work really hard to make their music ,and are honored to be playing the fest. I'm happy they do , but just to me that kind of music is funny,and i guess i just don't get it.

the program was awesome, as usual. Zod and AngraRULES do a fantastic job with the interviews, seamlessly integrating questions that appeal to people who are already knowledgeable about a given band with introductory information for those unfamiliar with a band. It's always a pleasure to read.

That's for True

I haven't listened to the sampler yet either, too busy replaying old and new favorites from past Prog and this one. I do LOVE the book and the interviews. I used to love reading it on the drive back,this year - I was driving so I didn't get too..but agree, it also is cool to have the band sign as part of the Prog Power collection you start inevitably after you go. I have always been a music fan, in the late 80's / early 90's def got into metal as most of the radio public thinks of metal like Metallica, Slayer, Sabbath, Ozzy, etc..but from my first Prog (VIII), I have to say that what makes me LOVE this festival so much is the way it is run and the intimacy with the bands. I have been such a complete mess to meet my favorite singers like Ralf Scheepers, Tom Englund and lust, I mean drool over such musicians as Gus G (Firewind) and Bjorn (Freak Kitchen) , not to mention be surprised by and forever remember bands I normally wouldn't listen to but totally mesmerised me live like Amorphis, Freak Kitchen, Sabaton, Mustache, Delain...I could go on and on. Not to mention I can have fun at this festival with friends, a date...and as this year, with my kiddo because Glenn & Jen run a class act and I felt totally comfortable bringing her to all ages show. Good job guys!

Thank you for the kind words everyone, especially about the interviews.

Like I said before, we really put a hell of a strong effort into making this happen every year. Claus is an incredible designer who makes the program look top notch. Tess did an amazing job indeed with getting the advertisers and the bands on the disc. As for Zod and I, well, we did one of our most favorite things, which is to talk music with amazing people. It's truly not an easy thing to master and it takes time and work to perfect it. With that said and absolutely no shame, I'll go ahead and tote my horn saying that the PPUSA interviews are some of the very best and more interesting ones you'll ever see anywhere. Just ask Glenn. ;)

I personally want to thank Glenn and Jen for letting us all be a part of the team, Claus for being the pushiest son of a bitch in the world when it comes to deadlines (and for being the nicest son of a bitch in the world for allowing me to completely ignore them, lol) and Zod for taking a last minute interview for me when I got too busy with the baby.

Very soon (? - lol at Claus), the new website will hopefully feature the full length interviews (as you guys know, sometimes we need to trim a few things for spacing). There's some funny stuff that didn't get published. You can see the full ones from last year on the site now, though.. (actually, you can't.... CLAUS?!?! Hahaha)

There were a few typos left in some of the interviews, but hey, being human is tough. The layout is as awesome as ever, the interviews are all super interesting, and the ads are amazingly relevant! (Lance got two Prototype sales based in part on their ad in the magazine)

The sampler was really amazing this year. First off, three discs! The discs look great, the insert is informative and looks cool.

Awesome work all around.

I am in the same boat. Have not had the chance to crack the wrapper on the CD sampler, but did take a look through the book. Awesome job on the book as usual, with lots of good information. I've bought things based on the ads myself (surprised the hell out of me to see an ad for the Guitar Center here in Fredericksburg, VA in the ProgPower VI one). In fact, taking a quick look through the program again, I've seen a few bands/albums in the ads that I am going to have to check out. I'll go back and look through the older books, as I've saved them all since the first ProgPower that I've attended. Also still have all the sampler CDs as well.

Very well done!

but not liking something at attacking it is what everybody does, if you don't like an actor you will say his movies suck, just because you don't like it. If you don't like the singer Pink, and someone does you might say it sucks because you don't like that kind of music. It something everyone does all the time,
People do a lot of really stupid shit all the time, doesn't mean it's a good course of action.

I didn't mean to make you mad,or anything its just the way every person is. I mean no disrespect to any of the bands ive never heard of, im sure they work really hard to make their music ,and are honored to be playing the fest. I'm happy they do , but just to me that kind of music is funny,and i guess i just don't get it.
Fair enough, I guess it's just aggravating since metal in general faces enough criticism based in ignorance from outside the genre, we don't need to do it to each other within the metal world as well.

Thank you for the kind words everyone, especially about the interviews.

Like I said before, we really put a hell of a strong effort into making this happen every year. Claus is an incredible designer who makes the program look top notch. Tess did an amazing job indeed with getting the advertisers and the bands on the disc.
Ditto on all of this, especially to Claus and Tess.

As for Zod and I, well, we did one of our most favorite things, which is to talk music with amazing people. It's truly not an easy thing to master and it takes time and work to perfect it.
The transcriptions suck ass, but it's a labor of love. I appreciate Glenn giving us the chance to do this, and represent the festival in some small way. And as Milt said, I've come to learn that interviewing is definitely a skill; one I'm working on getting better at.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read them.

Claus : The other guys of InnerSiege and myself are extremely grateful for the great placement in the program and on the sampler CD.

I have listened to the sampler cd and holy cow, there are some really good musicians represented on that sampler.

Through the entire submission process, Tess and yourself, treated us with repsect and responded to our questions with lightning speed. The "customer service" was top notch and we are grateful for that.

Thank you !

My two cents:

The program was very good. I appreciated the schedule, the PPUSA-specific interviews, and the ads for many bands that weren't at the festival and many of us weren't familiar with. Really got me looking.

And the sampler was also great. Quite random, and good to check out some local talent. I'm a music critic and while I knew a fair amount of the material, even I was able to find a couple good tracks by bands I hadn't heard of. I had no idea I was going to be getting these treats when I bought my ticket, and this makes the experience that much more complete!

I've only listened to the first disc of the sampler and, off the top of my head, the 2 tracks that stand out the most are InnerSiege & Divided Multitude.

The Divided Multitude track is bad ass!!! I gotta check out more of this band!