Project mix so far

Jan 10, 2005
I was sent a couple of DVD's a while back from a member of this forum for a mix. He went to a studio locally and had it all tracked. I just now found time to actually get working on it and so far this is what I've come up with.

The drums were Beta91 on the kick, Beta57 on snare, OH's are unknown but suspect NT1 or NT2, maybe NT5's..dunno, toms were SM57's. Guitars were VOX ToneLab for both (I think), bass was direct+Beta52 on a cab.

Basically I took BlackNeonBob's "kikbig" sample and replaced the kick 100%, the snare is a blend of Bob's "caliban1" sample and the original piccolo 50/50 using APTrigga (which fucking rocks). The original snare got some reverb added and RComp, threshold about -40, atk at 14 or so, rel at 23, 4:1 ratio. Sample snare got some Rcomp to tighten it up for this style, similar settings, faster release and about -32 for the threshold. Toms are original. Basically thinned them out really crazy to get the slap only from them, bussed them out and L1'ed the shit out of them, ran RBass at 65-70Hz to add the beef back in. For the bass I took both the DI and mic'ed sources and bussed them, ran an L1 with extremely low threshold and then ran RBass on it at 115Hz, about -4 on the intensity (level of the effect, basically). high pass at 70Hz to let the kick breathe and a boost around 4kHz to add some clarity. Leads are L1'ed the same way, high-end roll off, left the low-end untouched (rolling off made them too thin) and boosted some mids around 2300kHz. Rhythm guitars received a high pass at 65Hz and a low pass at 10kHz, boost at 2kHz and a very fine notch around 5300kHz. OH's got a high pass at 450Hz and are compressed generously using RComp to bring the hats and ride out since the OH tracks were a single left and right wav, the ride and hats were being washed out quite easily among the other cymbals. The RComp took care of that I think.

The timing of the drummer isn't stellar, and proved to be quite a task trying to edit and make it right, so I gave up and left that alone. I think I did a good job from what was available. Not much compared to other member's mixes but oh well :)

~e.a

Ouch! I'll pass that on I suppose. From what I understand this track was very rushed and was written very close to the studio date, not exactly the most ideal situation to be recording in (rushed, brand new material, etc.), but point taken.

~e.a