Need help on this want to be heavy bands mix

brette344

Nov 20, 2009
Pittsburgh,PA
so i realize this band is nothing great but they want their shit to sound huge and im not an amazing engineer so im hoping to get some feedback on the mix. so far i got the drums replaced with slate and the cymbals i just have a slight compression and l1 on the bus. the guitars are podfarm with a Q6 with high pass at 94, boost at 397 and 7k, cuts at 805 and 3k, and a low pass at 12k. on the guitar bus i got a c4 trick also. the bass i got rcompresr, podfarm, decapitator, q1 boosting at 500 and a l1. this isnt mastered yet so crank your monitors to hear it! hope for some advice thanks!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3175304/bounce for ultimate 222.mp3

The boost at 397 isn't working, it just sounds cloudy. Try cutting there. Other than that, it sounds pretty decent, try getting it to commercial volume then update the link.

heres the updated link with the guitars cut at 397 a bit (personally think it made a big difference thanks!) and to as close as commercial level as i can. im not to great with mastering but i used api compressor first, a c4 to control just the low end so nothing drops out on the bass drop, another compressor, limiter, clipper, and dither. lemme know how it is now!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3175304/master bounce ultimate bitttt.mp3

Wow, it's sounding pretty heavy, sounds WAY better. I'd say cut out a tiny bit more mids, they're still a little over powering. The snare sounds like it's being pushed down pretty hard by the master limiter, are you using gclip on it? If so, I'd say push down the clipping threshold a little more, or turn the gain up. The mix is also pumping a tiny more than pleasing, maybe turn the threshold down on the API comp, getting no high than 2-3 db of reduction. Otherwise, it's starting to shape up very well.

Still being a bit pushed down, make the snares volume come down, then compensate by pushing the gain higher up until it sounds nasty distorted, then bring it back down. That's about it, the mix sounds good. Good job.