Project: Roenwolfe (independent; power/thrash metal)

PatrickHoyt

The Darkitecht
Jun 3, 2007
Daytona, Florida
I've slowly been working on some demo material over the course of the past year which has lead to the writing of four songs with a full length in the making now that me and my guitarist, Tony C., know what we're capable of.

Project: Roenwolfe was formed by Tony and Myself because I was personally burnt out on working with a group of musicians and didn't have the time or interest in trying to build a full band from the ground up anymore. We aren't trying to be like anyone or anything, we're just two guys that want to write decent music and share it with people.

I wanted to share it on here, I've been hesitant to do so because I know how critical some people aim to be, but I hope you all keep an open mind and realize this is just demo quality production.

You'll even notice there are two different styles of production between the four songs, and I'm not claiming this is God's gift to an independent scene. I've just been able to get on my feet doing studio style stuff and since purchasing my own recording set up I've been having a lot of fun experimenting.

Alchemic Design and Reoccurring Dreams are going to sound different than Abstractions of Independence and Born of Rage because the first were written first and the second two were written and recorded later....blahblahblah.

Cool thing is, Chris Bennett from Widow wrote a couple solos for the last two songs we released recently (AoI and BoR).

Please check it out, hope you enjoy it. We will be releasing it for digital download on November 13th for anyone interested in having a copy of the demo material for themselves.

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectRoenwolfe

BandPage (on facebook):
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectRoenwolfe/app_178091127385

Masters of Metal Productions (independent label):
https://www.facebook.com/mastersofmetalproductions?fref=ts

Cool thing is, Chris Bennett from Widow wrote a couple solos for the last two songs we released recently (AoI and BoR).

and another cool thing... Val Allen Wood [THEOCRACY] wrote & recorded the guitar solo for Alchemic Design.

I also love the keyboard solo written & recorded by Tyler Sherrill [Steamforged] in Reocurring Dream. Progsters may enjoy Steamforged.

Ladies and gentlemen we give you access to download the four song demo complete with artwork and lyrics through bandcamp. We have a name your price option, enter 0 for your free download or choose to donate as much or little as you want. Thanks for your ever growing support and we can't wait to deliver a full album to you next summer.

http://projectroenwolfe.bandcamp.com/

A review from a user on metal archives:

Masters of Metal Productions is an upstart label ran by musicians, for musicians, and it goes to reason that they would be home to some very promising acts. The label’s policy of allowing their releases to be downloaded at no charge is proving to be a smart one, as it allows prospective fans to check out full releases by Masters of Metal bands, and make up their own minds on the merits of usually very formidable music therein. As the label’s most recent release, interestingly named Project: Roenwolfe’s demo fits in with the trend of delivering the proverbial goods, alongside the other Masters of Metal artists such as Judicator and Lascaille’s Cloud.

The demo contains four songs, yet hints at much potential from both songwriting and performance sides. The core of Project: Roenwolfe’s sound is fast, aggressive riffing over similarly raging drums, combined with clear, generally high-pitched melodic vocals (although death metal vocals make a brief appearance on “Born of Rage”). A discerning listener may notice some stylistic similarities to more aggressive side of power metal such as “Politics of Ecstasy”-era Nevermore, heavier moments of Steel Prophet’s catalogue, or even Biomechanical.

The guitar playing effortlessly marries classic power and thrash metal sensibilities with driving rhythms more commonly associated with heavier and newer genres of metal, creating an impression of barely controlled chaos that, paradoxically, retains focus and direction. At the same time, the vocalist has a voice that would fit along all the usual suspects – Dickinson, Halford, Dane, Alder – while retaining a timbre that is distinctly his. The vocal melodies are composed in a way that recalls prime Nevermore, as evidenced on “Alchemic Design” and “Reoccurring Dream”, often creating a counterpoint to the aggressive music. The (programmed) drums keep up with the songs by offering a credible impression of a modern thrash metal skin-beater.

That said, Project: Roenwolfe is also not afraid to venture from the boundaries of the style. The opener “Reoccurring Dream” features a keyboard solo that, surprisingly, adds another dimension to aggressive music instead of watering it down. The syncopated rhythms of “Alchemic Design” and the controlled chaos of closer “Abstractions of Independence” are interlaced with catchy parts that keep everything together, while “Born of Rage” goes for more simplistic, straightforward approach.

In this reviewer’s opinion, the demo is at its most interesting when Project: Roenwolfe lets loose and does not rein in the songs. Conversely, “Born of Rage”, though a fine song in its own right, feels as if it does not entirely fit with the rest of the material, as its midtempo, generally straightforward riffing feels almost too restrained when compared to near-progressive chaos of other songs. As a result, it is likely to be either one’s favorite, or one’s least favorite track on the demo, since the slight stylistic difference makes it stand out for better or worse. Of course, it is also a function of the demo containing only four tracks, which naturally draws much more attention to each individual song. It would be interesting to hear the band’s full-length album, apparently due some time in 2013, which should give a better idea on Project: Roenwolfe’s overall direction, and on where each song fits into the members’ musical vision.

The only other point of criticism would be production of the demo, which is at times inconsistent. There is a feeling that the songs might have been recorded at different times, as there are fluctuations in volume and sound quality between the songs (in particular, “Reoccurring Dream” and “Born of Rage” have distinctly different recording sound from the other two songs). At times, these fluctuations detract from total immersion in what Project: Roenwolfe are trying to achieve, although at no point do they inhibit the enjoyment of music. That said, this is the band’s first demo, and this is a minor quip, which will hopefully not be the case on their full-length album.

Overall, Project: Roenwolfe delivers. The band offers an intriguing sound that draws on both classic and modern metal, and that should appeal to wide audience. Already at this demo stage they seem mostly focused on what they want to do, and the results are very promising. Many bands and projects spend years getting to the point where they can write focused, polished material, but Project: Roenwolfe is already there, and if they keep developing their sound, their upcoming full-length shall be nothing short of exceptional.

FYI: We're getting closer and closer to Monday Feb 25th, where if you find yourself in the chat room on Metal Messiah Radio, you can download the brand new single from PROJECT: ROENWOLFE one day early! :heh:

That's right - if you are present in the chatroom when DJ Hoyt's Metal Empire exclusively premieres the new single 'Roanoke' you will receive a link to download the release a day early which includes the re-recorded and improved 'Alchemic Design' from their 2012 Demo which can be downloaded in it's entirety for free at http://projectroenwolfe.bandcamp.com/

If your time is limited tomorrow night, just be sure to arrive no later than 8PM EST and you shouldn't miss this opportunity.

Thanks!

The tunes are excellent. I downloaded both the new recording and the re-recording! I think there are a few more available that I need to download. P.S. I was so impressed I actually paid for them....

Just now noticed the comments - I appreciate it guys. We've been working really hard this past year to knock out an entire full length and I posted recently with the trailer but here it is again just in case it's buried.

Looking forward to sharing this with everyone (again for free or name your price download)

after this album is released I'll be working on clean vocals for the next Lascaille's Shroud album (Cosmic/Sci-Fi Themed Death Metal) Interval 02: Parallel Infinities, The Abscinded Universe which is (obviously) a sequel to the debut of Interval 01: Parallel Infinities, The Inner Universe - I did a couple songs on the debut that you can check out here: http://lascaillesshroud.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a reviewer of a metal news zine or online metal resource site and you would want to download and post a review/opinion of the debut full-length album, Neverwhere Dreamscape, on your page(s), blog(s), or zine(s) prior to the official release on August 24th shoot me a message with your webpage or resource site and let me know!

We just uploaded a preview of one of the brand new tracks from the upcoming debut album, Neverwhere Dreamscape.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone interested 3 of the songs that have not been publicly released will be played tonight on metalmessiahradio.com between the hours of 6-9pm EST on DJ Hoyt's Metal Empire. (DISCLAIMER: Quality of songs will undoubtedly be a slight bit raw sounding due to file conversion from wav to mp3 for the format of the radio show.)

Would be great for anyone that is skeptical about PRW or wants to give it a shot before the album comes out. Remember the album will be offered starting this Saturday August 24th at a name your price digital download, meaning you could essentially download it for free if you would like.

Thanks for all the initial attention and support we've been able to gain. This has been a journey for me that has taken the better part of 7 years to accomplish finding other people that shared the same mentality on music as I have to be able to create a full-length album and it honestly all started with ProgPowerUSA. If I hadn't have attended the festival when I was younger I wouldn't have had the inspiration from some of my favorite vocalists to be able to have the confidence to become a vocalist myself, and I still have years of work ahead of me.

I look forward to sharing this entire experience with all of you interested in listening. Thanks!

Good News/Bad News -

We're about 4 free downloads away from running out of our allotted free downloads for the month through bandcamp so you can either find a torrent (trust me there are tons of them out there now) or you can wait until September 12th when we get replenished by Bandcamp for the month on free downloads.

Or throw a $1 in for the album if you want to download it through a trusted source (bandcamp).

If you're one of those old schoolers that just HAVE TO HAVE a physical copy in your hands we're in the process of working through the logistics for printing with Divebomb Records to be a part of their Divebomb Bootcamp Series, which we are extremely excited about. More details to come on that though, so if anyone cares for that stay tuned on this thread and I'll update it with the information as soon as we have it.

new review from The Metal Observer:

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=1&id=20278

Genre: Progressive Power Metal / Technical Thrash
Label: Masters of Metal Productions
Playing time: 51:59
Band homepage: Project: Roenwolfe
Tracklist:

3093 (Intro)
Split the Rings of Saturn
Roanoke
Dark Passenger
Broken Drum
Proclamations for Devastation
Media Affliction
Neverwhere Dreamscape
Bad Blood
Travelers of Destiny
The Trader of Pain
Universal Mind
Project: Roenwolfe - Neverwhere Dreamscape
A short while ago I reviewed Utah-based JUDICATOR’s sophomore effort “Sleepy Plessow”, and album that reignited my interest in Power Metal in devastating fashion. With parts of my lower jaw still embedded in the floor and my ears still ringing with the sound of some of the finest Power Metal in ages, I decided to give guitarist Tony Cordisco’s side-project PROJECT: ROENWOLFE a whirl. Going into “Neverwhere Dreamscape” expecting something in a similar Power Metal vein, I was promptly bitch-slapped from all sides.

As soon as the spaced out intro segues into the no-nonsense riff overkill of “Split the Rings of Saturn” it becomes crystal clear that this is a whole different beast altogether. Fusing the modern (and somewhat pensive) aesthetic of JAG PANZER circa “Casting the Stones” with the riff-centric approach of NEVERMORE, ICED EARTH, INTO ETERNITY and perhaps even TESTAMENT, the album is a melting pot of the heavier strands of Power, Thrash and Melodic Death Metal. Lyrically it’s also different, scuttling the historical themes of JUDICATOR in favour of a more dystopian outlook, with the world-weary, frustrated and angry nature of the lyrics reflected in the constantly dark yet shifting tone of the riffs. It’s not exactly the best soundtrack for a comfy cuddle next to the fire, unless you’re a weirdo who sees apocalyptic visions in the flames.

I have to admit that “Neverwhere Dreamscape” didn’t grab me from the onset. The songs sounded a wee bit too samey and the humourless atmosphere caused a certain disconnect from the music. Subsequent listens, however, allowed the album to bloom into something quite special. Tony C is like a Santa Claus lugging a shipping container filled to the brim with nothing but riffs, and Patrick Hoyt Parris (ex-THEOCRACY) does a bang-up job of channelling Tim Owens and Matt Barlow at their most venomous. He’s ably backed up by a host of guest vocalists that splice proceedings with Death growls, punky shouts and even the occasional Middle Eastern-tinged wail. The focus remains squarely on the riffs however, and this is where the album shines. From the speedy of “Roanoke”, to the punchy Power/Groove rumble of “My Dark Passenger”, to the darker (and very DEATH-inflected) “Bad Blood”, there’s no reprieve on offer here. The melodic dynamic isn’t neglected either, and while it’s most discernible in terms of the vocal harmonies they also come through nicely in a song like “Proclamations for Devastation”, which features a stunning solo section.

All in all, “Neverwhere Dreamscape” is a great album that should appeal to a wide array of Metal fans. Imbued with a tangible sense of passion, and fret work that’s busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest, this album is primed to do some damage. At 52 minutes it is perhaps a tad too long, and the programmed rums lack character, but these are minor gripes in the face of such a riff-storm.

(Online September 8, 2013)

Neil Pretorius

if I may... :D ... here is another strong review of the Project: Roenwolfe full-length debut:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/metalcdratings/pagePROJECTROENWOLFESDREVIEW.html

excerpt:

...for the 2 members making up Project: Roenwolfe; they should be very pleased and proud of what they have created with ‘Neverwhere Dreamscape’. Relentless, bold, diverse and powerful are what comes to mind when describing this release and I’m sure fans of bands like Iced Earth, Riot, Warlord, Crescent Shield and many others will flock to this CD once it passes through their ears. Great job!

:kickass: