Promoters dodge massive nuclear bomb

Aug 14, 2008
So I know Glenn said that other fest threads should be moved to the lounge, but this isn't an advertisement just a piece of news that I found amazing. If this does infringe on your wishes Glenn, move it to the lounge. Sorry bredda!

Maryland Deathfest is just weeks away (wish I could go, but I'm not going this year) and the Sonar gets shut down. I don't even want to think how much it costs promoters to have that many bands come over to Baltimore for 4 days, but I know that about 3,000 + people come out to the fest. This could have cost the promoters enough money to destroy the entire festival forever, but fortunately:

Yes, we know about Sonar. It was just brought to our attention. Please DO NOT panic. The festival will still go on as planned. If Sonar does not end up working, we already have a alternative site in the same area that would have a similar set up, so you do not need to worry, and you do not need to consider changing plans. More info about this is expected to be posted on Friday.

Hopefully they were able to salvage this and dodge the bullet here.

The current rumor is that MDF will move about a block away to Bourbon Street. There are stories of Bourbon Street clearing that weekend's shows to be able to accomodate the festival. With the amount of alcohol that the festival crowd drinks, I would also if I were a club owner. If it does indeed go to Bourbon Street, I am hoping that they keep Slick Rick and have him play after Inquisition on Saturday.
:kickass:

Fortunately, this issue wasn't entirely unexpected given some of the issues with Sonar's "ownership" - but kudos to MDF for being prepared, anyway!

The MDF forum had a good post written by one side of the "ownership" of Sonar. It appears the IRS got involved recently & that was the end of the liquor license.

The current rumor is that MDF will move about a block away to Bourbon Street. There are stories of Bourbon Street clearing that weekend's shows to be able to accomodate the festival.

Very possible. They cancelled the show I was going to play tonight, to accomodate Sonar's shows.

Sucks, but I understand. I hope they can get all this settled. I do feel bad for the promoters and the other clubs, that need to scramble.

For the guys talking about other promoters in this thread: while this situation I am sure undoubtedly sucks balls for them, it's infinitely worse for Evan an Ryan, the dudes who do MDF. That's the only show they put on every year, and it probably costs WAY more to put on than any regular tour package.