Promotors + Bookings

D.Ingram

Mar 17, 2008
Sheffield, United Kingdom.
In relation to the 'Promote Your Band' thread, and given the epic stress I'm facing trying to sort out this show in Sheffield right now, I thought it'd be fitting to start a thread for promotors, ex-promotors and wannabe-promotors.

Until recently, I'd only put on low-key shows at crappy pubs with lineups that consisted of shit bands with no fans. The aforementioned Sheffield gig is the first one I've put on in some five or six years, and I've kind of dropped myself in the deep end by booking a high-tier venue (the Sheffield Corporation) and trying to booked bigger bands. Evile would've headlined the show had the release date of the record been pushed back, which left me in an unfortunate position :lol:

But I digress, who else has been/wants to get into the whole promotion/booking thing? Even better, who has any funny (or infuriating) stories and experiences to share?

Good luck man. I've talked to a couple of promoters for metal shows here in town. They must really love metal, because they all said they lose money on shows more often than they profit.

That's essentially what's going to happen with my show, but in all honesty I don't care so long as I make enough to pay Shrapnel and Deceptor for their petrol. It costs 250 to rent out Corporation's small room, and there's no way I can charge anything more than a fiver for entry... and it's been left late as fuck due to the aforementioned cancellations by a lot of the would-be headliners so everything is looking bleak.

That said, if I'm going to lose money then I'd rather do so and have at least SOME money to give to the bands than just cancel the show and lose out on my deposit. It's a shitty, dirty business man.

Yeah...I have felt bad for the bands at a couple of gigs I have been to. Fuck, when I saw Evile, Gama Bomb and Bonded by Blood, there were less than 20 people there! Props to all three bands for still playing an awesome show! I won't blame Evile if they skip Vegas on their next tour of North America.
A few years back Vader was supposed to play a show but it was cancelled. The story I heard was the venue didn't sell enough tickets so the promoter told Vader they could have $500 and play or take the $500 and split. My friend said he saw Krisiun play a bar in Northern Arizona. 3 people showed up and Krisiun still played!

In all seriousness Dave. I think the Corp is too big for the bands you've booked. The Earl is smaller and much cheaper. I'd never dream of spending that much on a venue. In Manchester it costs £100-£150 for venue hire but that's even pretty steep in my mind.

That's essentially what's going to happen with my show, but in all honesty I don't care so long as I make enough to pay Shrapnel and Deceptor for their petrol. It costs 250 to rent out Corporation's small room, and there's no way I can charge anything more than a fiver for entry... and it's been left late as fuck due to the aforementioned cancellations by a lot of the would-be headliners so everything is looking bleak.

That said, if I'm going to lose money then I'd rather do so and have at least SOME money to give to the bands than just cancel the show and lose out on my deposit. It's a shitty, dirty business man.

Didn't you say you would give Tom (Mutant) a bell and ask him?

Booking and promoting is so easy if you have any marketing knowledge. Its just that so FEW people really put a moment of thought into it. They think put out a flyer or two and bam, you're set and people will just come.
A lot of people don't even put out fliers!