Putting on a great show

lanky noob

Jan 13, 2012
The shire, UK
So as we all know a large part of being in a band is gigging and putting on a brilliant stage show, so I figured i'd start a thread where everyone can pitch in any advice/tips they've found over time regarding putting on a great gig, whether it's how to stay tight and still headbang the shit out of your parents, or dealing with promotors/venue owners in the best way to make gigging as stress free as possible :)

I'm curious as well to any little tips or tricks. I'm not one for some synchronized, choreographed stage shit, but I do find it a bit tough to really have a ton of energy on stage and be able to play my parts super well.

Plus, it was a lot easier when I was 21 years old instead of 31. :lol:

:L this is the main thing I was hoping people would put in to be fair, how to play super proficiently but have a fucktonne of energy besides jsut practicing beyond all belief. It's all well and good headbanging away on stage while playing a riff, but that gets a bit stale to watch after a while imo, that's when spinning around and generally being a twat has to come out :D

If you do it just for show it's really heard imo. You gotta feel it.
I worked this reunion show of some hardcore band from around here earlier this year. They quit like ten or so years ago and they are now in their mid to end thirties. Oh boy did that stage (and the rest of the room as well of course) go on fire the second they struck the first chord...

Honestly, it's going to be down to your frontman. Your personal performance doesn't mean shit if your frontman is boring or uninspired - he needs to have a personality, some distinct character, some kind of defining feature or attribute (not physically, although that doesn't hurt). If you don't have that you're done.

Agree with Jeff, been there, done that, if the lead singer sucks you're all screwed.

load in/setup/load out quickly
don't whine
positive attitudes all around
have spares of everything
if you're not the headliner, play a short set (i feel that 30min should be max)
if you have dead air between songs, fill it with thanks to the other bands, the fans, and the venue
make sure everyone knows where merch is
have fun

load in/setup/load out quickly
don't whine
positive attitudes all around
have spares of everything
if you're not the headliner, play a short set (i feel that 30min should be max)
if you have dead air between songs, fill it with thanks to the other bands, the fans, and the venue
make sure everyone knows where merch is
have fun

+1

and

get some freaky friends to cheer everyone + some whores on the stage

Our vocalist loves to talk to the crowd. Too much. :lol: Starts rambling about pointless shit sometimes and we just start the next song.

I've been playing in bands for about 15 years and there is really a lot involved in every aspect to putting on a great show. Everyone needs to be in a good mood. A few beers always helps me loosen up.

Also, check your gear before you break it down to take it to a show/tour/whatever. Can't even fathom how many times something broke or went wrong with the drums for us, right as we are setting up on stage. KEEP EXTRA SHIT!

I believe that being physically fit is also a pretty good starting point. Fans want to see shit getting wild on stage most of the time. This is one area that my band needs a bit of work on. Its tough though, small clubs, little or no stage, etc.

Talk to people before and after your set. Take names and numbers. Sooo many times some random dude would come up to me and say "I'm 'so-and-so' from 'such and such' label and we're putting together a comp disc and we really want your band on it"......and I have nothing to write this info down with at the time or my phone isn't on me and bam, dudes gone and you never remember his name or label.

great advice dudes! :D

What about if you don't drink/can't play for shit after one drink, any advice on loosening up then?

Build a tolerance? :lol: Kidding.

I can't really help you there. Once you play out enough, they start to become a blur and it's sort of "just another show" type of feeling. Exciting, yet not as awkward/uncomfortable/nervous, etc.

Probably the most important piece of advice that hasn't been named yet:
If you fuck up, don't act like there's something wrong. Just continue, keep having fun. The show must go on...at ALL times.

Probably the most important piece of advice that hasn't been named yet:
If you fuck up, don't act like there's something wrong. Just continue, keep having fun. The show must go on...at ALL times.

+1

Also, even if some of you don't like choreographed stage moves, have some parts with synchronized headbanging. It gives of the impression that you are one whole, not 4 separate guys playing. It can have a huge impact on the audience and helps transporting energy to them.

Honestly, it's going to be down to your frontman. Your personal performance doesn't mean shit if your frontman is boring or uninspired - he needs to have a personality, some distinct character, some kind of defining feature or attribute (not physically, although that doesn't hurt). If you don't have that you're done.

Fucking bingo!!!!
I always saw myself as a guitarist doing vocals... The second I started seeing myself/ acting as a real FRONTMAN that's when shit starting getting interesting at our shows :D

People want to be entertained. If you are oozing energy and attitude, then they'll respond to it :D