ProTools 7.0 to 7.3 upgrades

doc_backmask

Aug 2, 2006
Dayton, OH
www.backmask.com
I'm thinking about getting an Mbox 2 for portability and having a second setup for tracking/mixing with the band. The deal I've found comes with ProTools LE 6.8.1 and 7.0. I've seen on the Digidesign website that one can upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1, but I can't tell if it's possible to upgrade to 7.3.

Does anyone know if this is possible? If not, is 7.1 a good deal still, considering what else the Mbox 2 comes with? The link is below.

Thanks,
Richard

Mbox 2

If you buy it new, you get PT 7.3

I bought my 002R when 7.1 was just released and they emailed my when i registered to upgrade to 7.3

7.3 fucked up my computer, so I went back... stick with 7.1 its better, IMO than 7.3 *I got to use 7.3 once before my computer choked)...

the only thing I like better in 7.3 is the huuge increase in workflow with all the new right-click commands, not having to stop playback to change in/outs/busses, whatever and a few other things that should have been there all along.

the only thing I like better in 7.3 is the huuge increase in workflow with all the new right-click commands, not having to stop playback to change in/outs/busses, whatever and a few other things that should have been there all along.

definately agree here.

7.3 is really heavy on the cpu compared to 7.1 or 7.
I'd stay with 7.1, oh well I don't need the extra feature, it really depends on you.

Can anyone confirm the CPU load issue on the Mac side? This is going to be running on an older Mac that doc got recently, so this is key.

Can anyone confirm the CPU load issue on the Mac side? This is going to be running on an older Mac that doc got recently, so this is key.

Ah, yeah, good point. My intention is to be running PT on my PC and DP on the Mac. I would like to run PT and DP on the Mac, but we'll see which the Mac handles better. For everyone's help, here's my vital stats:

Mac:
PowerMac G3 (Yosemite) 350MHz
192 MB RAM (w/ 512 more on its way, here Friday)

PC:
Pentium P4 2.6GHz
768 MB RAM

All music data will be stored on an external 250GB USB 2.0 hard-drive.

Cheers. :headbang:

I can't confirm on mac, but on pc is for sure, every time I hit the space bar to play a session a message poped up telling my pc sucked, strange :( I had the same configuration but on 7.1 everything was running smooth.
I switched back to 7.1 because it's stable and I don't need 2 or 3 more extra features.

i think that as pt versions progress they get more and more heavy on the cpu.
im running 7.3 on a g4 quicksilver and a pc 1.8, and while the mac cant take as many plugins etc, its so so much more stable, less drop outs and "your computer is shit fanny around with playback buffer settings" messages.

but yeah the extra features in 7.3 are nice.
tbh i've never done a mix im happy with in pro tools that was entirely native 4uads and 2 powercores make it possible. or even just 4 uads