Prs

greetings :cool:

i was a total cynic before i bought my PRS McCarty, especially after having bad experiences with the Les Paul. i thought if these set neck units are gonna hamper playability then it's not worth investing in any...

after reading rave reviews & hearing impressive soundclips in magazines, i began to realize that i should not equate the PRS with other guitars as the comparisons are simply unsound (forgive the pun) :p it's like Audi vs Honda- 2 totally different performances.

anyway, after the acquisition, i didn't regret owning a PRS. do not be hampered by its specs eg: wide fat neck, vintage pickups... you must try it out to hear its worth. my PRS can pull off any tone i desire- fusion/ blues/ metal etc. it just takes a little EQ & amp tweaking :D

of course, others would argue whether this overpriced guitar is worth the asking price. it's a personal experience, i must say.

BTW, it's not the ultimate guitar for me as i keep going back to my Ibanez (the most) & Fender :)

If you can get an older one, they're actually quite nice...

All of them are REAL pretty, but higher fret access SUCKS.

Quality of fretwork and feel are inconsistent... two like models from the same "batch" can be great and horrible...

They're mostly marketed towards NU-Metal players who play drop tuning with only a few strings, and I think they work great for that.... :lol:

Oh, and before I get jumped on, I've played DOZENS of PRS, and was even considering buying one....

7 Dying Trees, we usually are pretty consistent on our gear recomendations and opinons... 'cept maybe the Ibanez thing :)p) :lol:

Try to check out a GMW / Empire, McNaught, or GMP. All three build guitars that'll smoke an overpriced PRS....

I have _very_ limited experience with PRS. It's a high priced guitar to begin with, which means that it's ridiculously priced once it lands here in the old world. I've only played one. Once. =P

I can't say that I was very impressed with that particular guitar, but I was a riffer-kid exclusively at the time, while the guy who owned it was into sleaze rock and tapping. I liked Gibsons, fat strings and high action, while he didn't. =)

He still owns it BTW, and swears by it - it's the only guitar he's kept throughout the years. I believe it's a late 80's or early 90's model. I'll have to visit him some time so I can play with his guitar... :lol:

'bane

I've played them before... I didnt like the neck-heel at all. Very bulky and in the way. IMO they're over priced for what they're offering.. If I wanted a PRS style guitar, I'd probably pick up a Samick (who makes and EXCELLENT PRS copy) and drop some new pickups in it. Quality construction, quality sound.... fraction of the price.

Good beer to all!!!
Mark

f#/b/E/A/D/G/c/f

Also, I hear that they've really come down in quality as of late... Cutting corners on materials to get a bigger bottom line...

But, of course, they're still charging the same price for them.

Good beer to all!!!
Mark

f#/b/E/A/D/G/c/f

Originally posted by xenophobe
7 Dying Trees, we usually are pretty consistent on our gear recomendations and opinons... 'cept maybe the Ibanez thing :)p) :lol:

:lol: Yeah, the ibanez thing seems to be the difference :p , hell if they made decent fixed bridge ibby's I'd be getting a load of them, but there's no reall middle ground between the fixed bridge shite and high end stuff, and as most of the high end stuff isn't black... PRS it is, especially as they were cheap :lol:

i'm relieved that this 2003, the trem revision has somehow elevated the more affordable korean ibanezs to a more reputable status.

you are right about them not having as many fixed bridge models as we would want in the market... some of us here feel that ibanez has a good offering but it could've been better :rolleyes:

PRS are shit man. They are way over priced, with that money you could get a gibson. There is only one good player that I like that plays PRS and thats Mike from Opeth, the rest are just Nu-Metal players and Santana (who quite frankly is way over rated) their tone is ok but i'd rather get a gibson.

Personally, I don't think gibson is any better of a value than PRS. Gibsons are overpriced, the fretwork is anywhwere from good to crap, and for the price they're inconsistent.

Use the money and go custom..... That way you have complete control over it..
Type of woods...
scale length...
number of frets..
type of pickups...
type of hardware.....
fretboard woods...
tuners..
nut material..

You have all the power to build it exactly as you want..

Plus it'll kinda set you apart from the "crowd".

when i bought mine, there were several options that were proposed & i duly went with some of these eg. finish/ tuners/ fretboard inlays. i dunno whether these are std options given to all buyers or it's just my dealer doing me a favor. hence, my PRS has its custom touches... :Smug:

Well, i have them now, and I can say that they aren't bad, quite nice actually, although I do miss the trem, and they're not ibby's so am still getting used to them...

Should all be cool though, and they sound pretty good as well!

hey dude :headbang:

comment on your PRS':

*pickups
*shorter scale length

thanks in advance
eysupdown.gif