PRS's are a headache

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
Seriously, they are. I got a PRS CE24 for a great deal, just 600 bucks but the thing was not stock. Came with a SD JB and Pearly Gates. The JB is horrid, pure horrid in this guitar. The locking tuners aren't too hot either but that's another story. Anyways, the guitar is acoustically golden and sounds gorgeous so I've been going through pickups. First the JB, then the Pearly Gates, then a Burstbucker #3 just to see. Nothing has worked well with the BB pulling in front but lacking bottom end. So I said screw it and will go back to stock with the HFS....one problem...they are impossible to find used! None on ebay even. WHY?! I just want my PRS to scream :yell:

So PRS, as a guitar, is a headache because some pickups don't sound good in yours? :lol:

And then, also a headache because some pickups you want to try aren't easy to find on the used market?

Sorry, stop me if I'm wrong here, but the logic is flawed to me...

So PRS, as a guitar, is a headache because some pickups don't sound good in yours? :lol:

And then, also a headache because some pickups you want to try aren't easy to find on the used market?

Sorry, stop me if I'm wrong here, but the logic is flawed to me...

Eh, I'm ranting my annoyance so probably ha. I was lucky enough to get a model with the phase 1 locking tuners as well which really quite suck.

I love PRS guitars. I just recorded a band with two guitarists. One had a Prs custom 22 and one had a gibson les paul with EMGs loaded in and the prs blew the gibson out of the water!

EMG's won't be going in this guitar. I've seen places in Europe selling the HFS but I'm in stinkin US of A! I have a feeling shipping would be so much that I could just get it straight from PRS for $120.

He is absolutely right

PRS sucks hard

I can help you unload it man.What do you say i'll buy it for the price you paid?:p

Seriously now, get an HFS and don't ever look back.
This pups sound amazing.
I love mine!!!

I've palyed a couple of PRS guitars in my life - both instructors I've taken lessons from (well there was a third but he was a VAI fanatic so he played Ibanez) have used PRS guitars as their primary instruments - both used Custom 24s. Plus several others when I thought I wanted to drop the cash to get a PRS, because I had liked those ones my instructors had, but ended up having car issues come up so the $2500 I had for a guitar suddenly went into part of the down payment on a car. I tried out about 4 guitars, two of which had non-stock pickups, and in each case, including my instructors guitars, I liked the stock pickups in the higher end PRS guitars better than the aftermarket pickups. I've always thought that one of the things PRS does well is match pickups to their designs.

Just my 2 cents - as always your mileage may vary.

I've had a few PRS Singlecuts and I have to say I really like the stock pickups. I swapped out the #7 in the bridge for a Gibson 500t in one of them and it worked really well in that thing. The HFS is also a screamer as is the Tremonti.

I have a custom 24.
The HFS bridge pickup sounded very lifeless so I popped a duncan custom custom in it and it came to life.
Very happy with the sound of it now.
Wiring a non PRS pickup to the 5 way rotary is a pain and requires flipping one of the magnets in the pickup.