Pseudo mastering

Jan 25, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I know every project is different and will require different settings and methods, but do you guys have any tips for pseudo mastering? My main problem is if I get my mix to how loud i want it to be the snare and the bass drum get almost fully cut out. I really don't know what I am doing with in, I just add a limiter after my mix compression, then another compressor and then another limter. Is this too much squashage ? I guess what I am trying to ask is ¯\(°_o)/¯ how do make pseudo master?

pardon the noobishness but is there anything equivalent to GClip for mac? sounds really useful but i have no idea what to turn to in my case.
Thanks

One tip

If your snare and kick are getting lost when mastering the stuff, it's usually a sign of a bad mix.

Try mixing with a compresor or limiter on the master bus

clip your snare first, then apply two clippers on the 2 bus. mines usually like: mix bus comp, only takin off like 1-2 db, then a clipper, slight compression, nother clipper, maximizer, rms meter

man, i just told u my secret lol

clip your snare first, then apply two clippers on the 2 bus. mines usually like: mix bus comp, only takin off like 1-2 db, then a clipper, slight compression, nother clipper, maximizer, rms meter

man, i just told u my secret lol

o_O

Seriously?

I've never used a clipping plugin. I have clipped my converters coming back in from the analog signal chain, but rarely do that. The idea of maximizers and clippers leads me to believe the result would sound awful.

o_O

Seriously?

I've never used a clipping plugin. I have clipped my converters coming back in from the analog signal chain, but rarely do that. The idea of maximizers and clippers leads me to believe the result would sound awful.

GClip works wonderfully, i must say...i also thought at 1st that it would sound like total shit, but it's great at maximizing the volume on a track without distorting it

im not gonna find it to post a link, but slate posted on an awesome thread, maybe getting your loudness or something like that... and also another good thread: my guitars always bury my snare drum, or something like that... never could get very much loudness without clipping, and could never get my guitars and snares in your face. only clip transient rich signals, not sausage ones. if your snare/bass drum is poking through the mix too much (causing your compressor to pump) then you will not have very transparent gain reduction. its about figuring out ways to use different stages of reduction, one to kill transients, one to bring up the volume of the mix. it helps to bounce an uncompressed mix to a stereo file. you may want some pumping from the transients to give you a bit of "glue" or character which is why i compress 1-2 db before clipper. if you look at the wav form, the transients will be poking out like peanuts on a long turd. the turd wont flush without breaking up the turd, but if you cut off the peanuts, it will slide rightdown the pipe!

Put mix (which may or may not have compression) into

HPF at 30HZ -> Multiband Compression to tame lows -> EQ if necessary -> Limiter

Multiband Compression to tame lows

now this is something i don't agree with at all, really...sure it's a good idea if someone else sends you a mix with a flabby bottom end that needs to be reigned in - but if you're "mastering" your own tracks/mixes, then IMO you'd be better off taming shit at the individual track level

When you have complete control over the mix, make choices carefully because you can afford to do that. Also, don't be afraid to *not* squash the fuck out of things...

o_O

Seriously?

When they're used right they perform well... you're just trading one type of artifact ('squishy' compressor, 'bouncy' limiter, or 'gritty' clipper) for another. There was a great thread on volume ("Getting your loudness..." I believe), look that up.

Jeff

Jeez, I feel like a tool for asking this question when there was that awesome thread, "getting your loudness". Thanks to everyone. I'll be spending the next couple days reading and experimenting since I have the fucking chicken pox and I am pretty much in quarantine till this shit goes away:cry:. But for now I am gonna hit the bed since I think I took one too many benadryls and am having trouble seeing straight :loco: