PT 7.4 vs 8 (610 vs 2626)

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I'm going to be selling my Saffire 26 and picking up one of the Profire's this summer, largely to run ProTools, but also because I don't need 8 mic pre's and and toslink ins/outs while I'm in college.

The 2626 can run 7.4 & up, while the 610 can only run 8.0 & up. So, as far as I'm concerned...

Advantages of the 610: $200-250 cheaper, more compact.
Advantages of the 2626: Can run PT 7.4

I've heard mixed things about 8 - some love it, some really don't like how round and 'Logicy' things look. I'll be picking up the production toolkit for increase track count and multitrack Beat Detective, regardless of which route I go.

For someone who knows Cubase in and out, Logic fairly well, and is a complete PT n00b, would 7.4 be a better choice than 8?

if you can try 8 before you buy, You may like it. Also considering your a PT noob, I think it's less important for you to start with 7.4. I think the only people have issues with 8 are 7.4 users who don't like the differences between the 2. If you aren't used to 7.4, then the switch to 8 wont be that big of a difference.

I've used the 610, and I can say the converters are very nice, but the pre's weren't very exciting to me. I also didn't like that it didn't work with 7.4. I say if you have no issues with 8 and you don't need all the IO of the 2626, the 610 would be a good choice. Realize though, that if you get the 610 you're also gonna have to drop another 250 on pro tools 8.

Pres are a non-issue... I'll be tracking DI's/POD tones, and all vocals will be through outboard if they ever get done.

When you say I'll have to buy PT with the 610, do you mean to imply that the 2626 has it included? I was just going to get the educational version for $150, but if the 2626 includes it, there's no point.

That's what I thought, thanks man. I'll probably just grab the 610 used for $300-350 and spend 400-500 on the education PT8/production toolkit package and be done with it. Between Cubase 4, Logic 8, and PT8... I should be set. :lol:

For someone who knows Cubase in and out, Logic fairly well, and is a complete PT n00b, would 7.4 be a better choice than 8?

for me as a cubase user 8 was far more intuitive to work with than 7.4

perhaps it's nothing to do with being cubendo user or not, perhaps 8 is just more intuitive.

OF COURSE if you ask a long time 7.4 user he'll find 7.4 easier to work with (at least for a couple of days).

pretty sure everyone who's still on 7.4 will tell you that 7.4 is better but I believe that's only because they're more used to it

for me as a cubase user 8 was far more intuitive to work with than 7.4

perhaps it's nothing to do with being cubendo user or not, perhaps 8 is just more intuitive.

OF COURSE if you ask a long time 7.4 user he'll find 7.4 easier to work with (at least for a couple of days).

pretty sure everyone who's still on 7.4 will tell you that 7.4 is better but I believe that's only because they're more used to it

yup agree with what lasse is saying here, i decided to go to the PT 8 upgrade, after reluctantly putting it off for a good few months, and im glad i did! it has some issues, but thats caus its slightly more load on the cpu for the ones i keep having.

7.4 is great, and i loved the simplicity! and i sometimes wish id stayed on it just for the sake of it, but yer, 8 is a great piece of software

definatly prefering 8 now. The included plug INS and synths are awesome ,, not to mention the new playlist view/comping

There are virtually no functional differences between the two in the core features, apart from 8 having some greatly expanded MIDI capabilities, splash screen and bunch of other additions. 8 was an upgrade, there really is no reason NOT to go for it. The included plug-ins will get you through a whole mix by themselves...

I didn't find any differences in intuitiveness between the two. PT8 has an easier to read GUI and some more logical feature placements on it, but that's about it really for a new user. The core shortcuts and amazing transport and editing abilities are still there, as well as the lack of ADC, and the hardware reliance. You get all the same good with all the same bad, except with a few extra good! (AIR plug-ins, MIDI etc. etc.)

The included plug-ins will get you through a whole mix by themselves...

Really? Cuz the last time I tried to use the digirack compressor was in 7.0, and oh lord, not an experience I care to repeat :ill: The eq's and delays were fine as far as I could tell though! (pretty hard to botch those, after all)

They're only in 8. It's one of the major reasons to upgrade for the guys who are on a budget. Great quality plug-ins bundled for 'free'.

Hmm, intriguing...

Im pissed about the speed of the redraw and scrolling in 8 tho. Its a real pain.

So you're having issues with the scrolling too Andy? There had been some suggestion that it was a PC-only problem

yeah.. i ha that in Hd on my quicksilver g4, but not had an issue on the macpro....

Andy do you use the bar to scroll, or shift and mouse wheel or mighty mouse ball, i noticed theyre all slightly different; the bar being the worst on the g4

Digirack plugins are amazing, how can you not like them? I can literally use the comp on anything with good results. I haven't really heard anyone who dislikes them a great deal. Hey, its all objective I guess.

Also, have you considered an Mbox or a 003 rack if you need that little extra) then a pre with digital output? Audient do the mico dual pre or the ASP008. Both are super clean and the conversion is far, far better than what is inside the digi interfaces. That way you have your interface bundled with PT8 and decent pres with decent conversion that have loads of extras such as variable impedance, instriment in, pad, line in, invert phase and HPF. That's just my little recommendation but obviously budget will dictate. I have a 003 with an ASP008 with the ADAT card. Very glad I went down that route!

Anyway, good luck with finding what works for you!