Pulling Teeth

Mr. Palomar

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
So why is there art depicting pulled teeth in the booklet for Choirs of the Eye where Tzadik usually puts a picture of the artist and a small bio? Ditto for the usual artist photo on the little black thingy that all Tzadik CDs have. Just curious . . . .

Awesome album by the way, though I can tell I will have to listen to it quite a bit before it really clicks with me. I just got it in the mail today. Along with SSAB Songs and the Wumme Years Faust Box Set! Yes this has been a good day.

Either way, this is the first really good new album I have heard all year. 2002 was a great year for me. This year . . . not so hot. Next year . . . I have heard Scott Walker has a new album coming out!

Mr. Palomar said:
So why is there art depicting pulled teeth in the booklet for Choirs of the Eye where Tzadik usually puts a picture of the artist and a small bio? Ditto for the usual artist photo on the little black thingy that all Tzadik CDs have. Just curious . . . .
I think I have heard Toby saying that they wanted badly to have that art in the booklet and since Tzadik is pretty strict on the number of pages of the booklet and overall packaging they convinced Tzadik to go with that art instead of the picture+bio.

Note that not all Tzadik releases has picture+bio, Merzbow's 1930 comes to mind as one without the picture at least, I don't remember about the bio though.

Correct me if I am wrong.

That strikes me as a somewhat odd policy for a record label with such strong convictions about artistic freedom...

But of course, musical freedom is the most important thing.

mindspell said:
I think I have heard Toby saying that they wanted badly to have that art in the booklet and since Tzadik is pretty strict on the number of pages of the booklet and overall packaging they convinced Tzadik to go with that art instead of the picture+bio.

Note that not all Tzadik releases has picture+bio, Merzbow's 1930 comes to mind as one without the picture at least, I don't remember about the bio though.

Correct me if I am wrong.

No, you are right. All or at least the majority of the series on Tzadik have their own design. The Merzbow album (which I think is really great btw) is part of the New Japan series, so the cover is a picture with a big gold border to the left and right and the inside of the booklet is read vertically.

IanDork107 said:
That strikes me as a somewhat odd policy for a record label with such strong convictions about artistic freedom...

As lame as it sounds, I actually debated this with a friend. I argued that since all of their albums look pretty damn snazzy, why complain?

IanDork107 said:

I totally see where you're coming from on this. OTOH, it gives the records an unmistakable brand identity, which I think is extremely important when selling records by largely marginal (selling-wise) artists. They definitely sell alot of CDs based on the "curatorial" aspect of the label. (And I don't think there's anything wrong with that!)