Punch Nazi's I need your help ( adam jval joey etc) PLZ!

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
I've read everything I can find on the forums about tracking guitars tight
and after trying to cut and move all the audio into place I can't get it to sound as natural as it should.
I would like to learn how to punch in every few notes but I can't really grasp the concept.
I'm not a guitar player at all so excuse my lack of knowledge
but I need some clarity on some of the things I read in jvals tight mix thread.

So If I were tracking say a quick triplet and the dude was always slightly off on the last two notes of the triplet
would you guys have him punch in the notes individually?
Or do you guys usually do really quick parts like that as one whole take until they get it right?

Also in jvals thread he said he would let the note "ring"
by ring do you guys just mean not palm muting the last note
before the next punch? And if so why do you need to do this?

And are you guys auto punching or setting punch points?

And one more quick question since I couldn't find this anywhere either,

I read that jval also played parts at slower tempos and then would speed them up.
I tried slowing down the tempo of a drum track and then speeding it up by like 10 bpm and it sounded like asshole (I'm using cubase 5)

Does it only work with guitar?
Is there a specific way you guys do this?

and after trying to cut and move all the audio into place I can't get it to sound as natural as it should.

Cause its not

I would like to learn how to punch in every few notes but I can't really grasp the concept.

Waste of time really

So If I were tracking say a quick triplet and the dude was always slightly off on the last two notes of the triplet
Or do you guys usually do really quick parts like that as one whole take until they get it right?

Redo it till he gets it right then if you have to copy and paste the part

have the guitarist continue to play in the next part is more what he means, unless of course you are ringing out a chord then just let the chord ring till it dies and edit as needed.

And are you guys auto punching or setting punch points?

I dont do either, I manually press record and stop

Cause its not

Waste of time really

Redo it till he gets it right then if you have to copy and paste the part

have the guitarist continue to play in the next part is more what he means, unless of course you are ringing out a chord then just let the chord ring till it dies and edit as needed.

I read that jval also played parts at slower tempos and then would speed them up.
I tried slowing down the tempo of a drum track and then speeding it up by like 10 bpm and it sounded like asshole (I'm using cubase 5)

Does it only work with guitar?
Is there a specific way you guys do this?

What are you herman Li .... lol if you cant play it at speed then you need to practice more.

Digital editing is no substituion for lack of ability. No matter how bad the player is no amount of editing will make him sound good. If you want tight guitars you need to play it tight.

Guru nailed it.

Or if you want to punch in for one note at a time, you can change recording mode to "time selection auto punch", then just select on the grid where you want it to start recording.

i'm new at this so tread lightly on what i say
but i think it's also a matter of where you put your bounderies besides technicaleties.

of course if the player can't play his shit at 200BPM you can alwyas track at 100BPM and speed up but come on!
if a player can't play his stuff than either he should practice more of just not play that part...
for me, i track full parts (e.g. choros or verse) a couple of takes so i have spare parts if i can't fix something, then edit/slip edit to get it tighter
so far it's doing the trick....

but notes that the guys above me are probably much wiser...

Everytime guitar guru I sware to god <33

Umm so I get everything you said except the ring part so I'd have him play say the triplet and punch have him just play the whole thing but punch him out after the note?

And I'm not saying its ethically right to do these things, they should know how to play their parts I'm just saying I would like to know how in the event they really dont.

Yup yup :)

Have him play through the entire part as hes playing randomly punch in, once you get to the part that needed to be fixed just hit stop, but he keeps playing. Then you edit out the pieces of the performance you dont need :)

what?? I think all these editing tricks are invaluable for when you are working with a guitar player that isn't worth his salt.

I don't give two shits if he can't play it, the product needs to sound good so I can get other work from it.

I have done everything from recorded at half speed(or less even!), got him to just play one note and then slide it to where it needs to go (and yes, you can make this sound natural), played the part myself.. the list goes on and on.

if you need to record something slower and then speed it up the trick is you have to cut the notes and slide the next one back to where it needs to be. don't use time compression or anything like that.

seriously if you have no fucking choice but to track a band like this I don't understand how you can argue agaisnt it . its really bad when your working on bands from the lower end of the pool in your area you just don't have a choice

I dont want this thread to turn into a shit storm or ethical debate I just want to learn the techniques you guys use cuz I'm a n000b.

[UEAK]Clowd;9569833 said:
if you need to record something slower and then speed it up the trick is you have to cut the notes and slide the next one back to where it needs to be. don't use time compression or anything like that.

So basically your saying record to a click somewhere way off the grid from the rest of the song at a slower speed and slide the individual notes back into the song and piece them together so they line up with the original tempo?

I dont want this thread to turn into a shit storm or ethical debate I just want to learn the techniques you guys use cuz I'm a n000b.

So basically your saying record to a click somewhere way off the grid from the rest of the song at a slower speed and slide the individual notes back into the song and piece them together so they line up with the original tempo?

pretty much yes

it takes a little bit of practice, you gotta use your ear more than your eye(DI waveforms can be deceiving) just make sure you leave enough play so it doesn't sound robotic(unless that's what you want it to sound like)

Learn to slip edit in your DAW (I just use Reaper so that's my best bet when editing guitars) or just punch in every few notes. That should be enough for anything. I don't know Cubase enough to tell you any specific tips, but that should be enough ;)

Learn to slip edit in your DAW (I just use Reaper so that's my best bet when editing guitars) or just punch in every few notes. That should be enough for anything. I don't know Cubase enough to tell you any specific tips, but that should be enough ;)

Haha I know how to slip edit in cubase for the most part but guitars confuse me. I've been chopping the events and moving them then crossfading the overlaping audio. But For some reason I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

The whole topic of crossfades just always seems to throw me off, like I know what they are theoretically but I don't know how to use them.

and ps dude your mixes are amazing. js....best guitar tone ever.

Without reading the other answers... I usually let the guitarist play along for 4bars before i punch him in, then crossfade before the pick hit, that usually do the trick. If the guitarist is really sloppy i let him play the riff over and over again, and when I think hes done i cut and paste and make a "best of"

Without reading the other answers... I usually let the guitarist play along for 4bars before i punch him in, then crossfade before the pick hit, that usually do the trick. If the guitarist is really sloppy i let him play the riff over and over again, and when I think hes done i cut and paste and make a "best of"

So if you were to punch in say 2 notes in a 4 note riff you would have him play the whole riff and you would just punch in the notes you need??

I think that some one definitely needs to make a video on guitar quantizing or tracking because its definitely 50 times easier then trying to visualize everything.

Thats definitely my first order of business once I dont suck. :(

[UEAK]Clowd;9569833 said:
what?? I think all these editing tricks are invaluable for when you are working with a guitar player that isn't worth his salt.

I don't give two shits if he can't play it, the product needs to sound good so I can get other work from it.

I have done everything from recorded at half speed(or less even!), got him to just play one note and then slide it to where it needs to go (and yes, you can make this sound natural), played the part myself.. the list goes on and on.

+1 qft