Putting EMGs in my Epiphone

Aug 16, 2002
Richmond, Va
Visit site
I've been looking around for a while for something to spice up my rig a little bit. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which I am totally happy with for my current needs with a guitar. I am currently thinking, however, about putting some EMG's (81 and 85) in it. I want to get a little bit better sound for metal out of it, and from what I've heard of EMG's, I am interested. Of course I'd like to go out and get a Jackson and put EMG's in it, but I don't have that kind of cash and don't want to have to make a sacrifice and buy a piece of shit. So, I have a few questions regarding this.

1) Does this seem like a good idea? Is it going to help my "metal tone"? How do EMG's (81/85)compare to the pickups that came stock with my Epiphone (both clean and distorted)?
2) How hard would it be/how much will it cost to get the EMG's installed into my Epiphone?
3) Has anyone done this before, and if so, how do you feel about the change?

Thanks in advance.

Hey man I bought a kirk hamett ltd and it came with those EMG-HZ pickups. I thought that the sound that i got from those pick ups was bloody brilliant. That was until I bought an 81 & 85. The sound I get out of them is awesome. Of course I do have a decent amp which really helps when trying to get a good tone. I put the EMG-HZs in my Ibanez which was an improvement from the stock pick ups in that guitar.

Anyways I guess what I'm tryin to say is that for you to have a truly good tone every part of your rig must be just as good as the other. These pickups do sound awesome and I am really happy with my purchase altho I'm not sure how they stack up to the epiphone pickups (I'm guessin theyre gunna b better)

Hope this helps

i acnt spell said:
1) Does this seem like a good idea? Is it going to help my "metal tone"? How do EMG's (81/85)compare to the pickups that came stock with my Epiphone (both clean and distorted)?
Let me assure you, it will be a world of difference. You'll have a lot crunchier rhythm sound and the pickups will bring out pick squeals with ease. If you've been using the stock pickups so far, it will be like a totally different guitar.

2) How hard would it be/how much will it cost to get the EMG's installed into my Epiphone?
Not sure how much installation will cost, since I do all electronics work myself. It's pretty easy if you know how to solder. The pickups come with their own pots (they need 25kOhm ones), so one additional thing to keep in mind, is that you'll need to place an order for EMGs with long-shafted pots, so they'll fit your Les Paul.

3) Has anyone done this before, and if so, how do you feel about the change?
I've been using EMG humbuckers for over 10 years. I put an EMG-81 in an Epiphone SG and it was great for metal. I only got rid of that guitar because it was too neck-heavy for me. I currently have a EMG-85 (bridge) and a EMG-58 (neck) in my Rhoads and I'm loving the sound. My second guitar is a mahogany Flying V with a EMG-81 that I use for downtuned songs.

'bane

Every change of pickups innovates your guitar tone, and you can stand sure that EMG will make your axe sceam... If you have attitude do it :) EMG are brilliant hums, 81 at the bridge, 85 on the neck

I'm also thinking of doing the same thing, with a Epi Goth Les paul, that comes with Alnico pickups and I take it that the EMG's are Ceramic, which is why they are so much more powerfull etc, but in a review I read, the reviewer complemented Epiphone on how good the pickups sounded etc, do you think EMG's would be an improvement in terms of versatility and sound, ...?

@ 'bane: I almost just PM'ed this to you, becuase you've been so incredibly helpful with all of the other questions I've asked here. Thanks again, and I may actually PM you with a few more questions, seeing that you've done this with an Epiphone SG.

@ everyone else: Thanks to all of you for your help with this decision. I am taking it all into mind, and I appreciate it.

Ravenous Enemy said:
I'm also thinking of doing the same thing, with a Epi Goth Les paul, that comes with Alnico pickups and I take it that the EMG's are Ceramic, which is why they are so much more powerfull etc, but in a review I read, the reviewer complemented Epiphone on how good the pickups sounded etc, do you think EMG's would be an improvement in terms of versatility and sound, ...?
You're partially right. The EMG-81 has a ceramic pickup, but that's not the reason it has a high output. The 85 for instance, has an alnico magnet and some claim it actually has higher output than the 81. The thing is that the EMGs are active (running off a 9v battery). They are actually low-output pickups, but with a preamp built into them - and that's why you can have both low string-pull (resulting in better sustain) and killer output.

As to if EMGs would be better...hmmm....depends on what you're looking for. Granted, the EMGs are very versatile, but if you already like your tone, chances are that you won't find the difference worth the price. My best tip is that you borrow a guitar with EMG's and play it through your rig. It won't sound the same as if you put EMGs into _your_ guitar, but it should give you a general idea of what to expect.

'bane

i acnt spell said:
@ 'bane: I almost just PM'ed this to you, becuase you've been so incredibly helpful with all of the other questions I've asked here. Thanks again, and I may actually PM you with a few more questions, seeing that you've done this with an Epiphone SG.
Thanks! ^_^
Yah, don't hesitate to PM me if you need advice - I'll try my best to answer your questions.

'bane

Thanks allot.

!1 more thing - would I need to carve a hole somewhere in the guitar to fit a battery? That sounds quite annoying so I could probably try the HZ /H4's which are not active, right?

Muuhhaahuaa, carving holessss iisss funnn!!!!

Maybe I should have put EMG's in my epiphone SG, but then I thought the fret buzz was annoying. I think adjusting the set up on your guitar with manufacturers equipment always helps, before deciding on new pick-ups. String height and thickness, plus the distance between your pickups and the strings can make a lot of difference in sound.

Ravenous Enemy said:
Thanks allot.

!1 more thing - would I need to carve a hole somewhere in the guitar to fit a battery? That sounds quite annoying so I could probably try the HZ /H4's which are not active, right?

No no, you don't need to carve any holes anywhere. The battery/ies will reside in the control cavity. You can wrap it up in foam packing to insulate it or tape it to the cover plate.

'bane