Pyramaze - Statement from Matt and Michael

Does anyone else really see this as one last hurrah from Iced Earth? Or is it just me who thinks the gears are winding down and this is how to go out with a bang? Complete the concept that began ten years ago on the bands landmark album with the singer that everybody loved? As much as I liked Iced Earth and still do, I think that they are reaching the end of their path.
I don't think so. For starters, I think Jon has a strong love for writing music. That's not something you just shut off. My guess is, at one point, Jon was energized by having Tim in the band, the doors that it might open, and how it could mean a possible break trough for Iced Earth. Unfortunately, that break trough never materialized. I think once Matt rejoined the Metal community, Jon came to certain realizations. First off, they both have families and they're both growing older, which makes the road very undesirable. Jon also has a chronic back problem, that prevents him from the kind of tour schedule he might have otherwise. And since Jon can't really tour, it makes Matt's limited schedule much more acceptable. With the families, the back problem and Matt's schedule, Jon probably believes that Iced Earth is better suited to be a studio band who plays the occasional festival.

Zod

Glad to hear Barlow will do the Pyramaze album.

As for a new singer, I think it'd be killer if they could get Erik Rosvold, the original vocalist for Zero Hour. Just even imagining how his voice would fit Pyramaze's music gives me goose bumps.

Pyramaze should get Snowy Shaw, because well he's just badass. Or ICX Vortex. Those guys can stand toe to toe with Matt.

I don't think so. For starters, I think Jon has a strong love for writing music. That's not something you just shut off. My guess is, at one point, Jon was energized by having Tim in the band, the doors that it might open, and how it could mean a possible break trough for Iced Earth. Unfortunately, that break trough never materialized. I think once Matt rejoined the Metal community, Jon came to certain realizations. First off, they both have families and they're both growing older, which makes the road very undesirable. Jon also has a chronic back problem, that prevents him from the kind of tour schedule he might have otherwise. And since Jon can't really tour, it makes Matt's limited schedule much more acceptable. With the families, the back problem and Matt's schedule, Jon probably believes that Iced Earth is better suited to be a studio band who plays the occasional festival.

Zod

You're pretty much right on the mark. Part II and the subsequent live DVD will mark the fulfillment of the SPV contract. That's about a year away. After that, Jon will probably take a good look at the metal landscape and state of the industry and decide on what's best for him, which is also best for Iced Earth. As he told me earlier this month, "when you chart on Billboard at #78 by selling just 7,300 records, somethings f---ing wrong (with the distribution of music today)."

I'd expect to see Jon get involved in collaborations with other artists and do some producing at his new studio before he would write another Iced Earth album. The days of months on the road touring appear to be over in favor of limited, select appearances such as festivals or gigs limited to the major markets like New York and Chicago. It's hard to see what the future truly holds, but if you're dying to see the band live again, 2008 may be your best opportunity for several years to come.

I'm actually quite peeved about all this. Sure, Pyramaze will sell albums from the Barlow fans but they will also be veiwed as unstable because this is the second singer they've had to let go. No band that does that is able to make it big and/or get signed by a reputable label...

:err: Haha.... really? Maybe you've heard of JUDAS PRIEST (3 singers) and IRON MAIDEN (3 singers). 'Nuff said. Pyramaze will be just fine.

You're pretty much right on the mark. Part II and the subsequent live DVD will mark the fulfillment of the SPV contract.
Hey Fiddler... you might have some insight into this (though I suspect you may not be at liberty to say). Any shot Jon eventually re-releases Part 1 with Matt on vocals? Seems like a win/win. Jon makes a good deal of money, for minimal effort, and the fans get Part 1 with Matt.

Zod

I kinda wish that Jon had waited until he finished the two album series with Ripper, that way Pyramaze wouldn't have had such a tough decision in here, they could have Barlow for an album and a tour, then everyone could decide what they wanted to do afterwards.

I still think it is odd timing for all of this, for everyone involved.

Jason

I'm glad Matt is back in IE. SW Pt 1 was a big disappointment for me. I loved what Ripper did with Gettysburg but I think that Matt is the perfect fit for IE.

You're pretty much right on the mark. Part II and the subsequent live DVD will mark the fulfillment of the SPV contract. That's about a year away. After that, Jon will probably take a good look at the metal landscape and state of the industry and decide on what's best for him, which is also best for Iced Earth. As he told me earlier this month, "when you chart on Billboard at #78 by selling just 7,300 records, somethings f---ing wrong (with the distribution of music today)."

I'd expect to see Jon get involved in collaborations with other artists and do some producing at his new studio before he would write another Iced Earth album. The days of months on the road touring appear to be over in favor of limited, select appearances such as festivals or gigs limited to the major markets like New York and Chicago. It's hard to see what the future truly holds, but if you're dying to see the band live again, 2008 may be your best opportunity for several years to come.

That is EXACTLY what I was afraid of! My fave band ever, & I may FINALLY get to see them, & it will prob'ly never happen again, & as usual I have to travel to another state just to see them! WTF?! Man, this's depressing!:cry: