Queen + Paul Rodgers: The Cosmos Rocks

A7

Live to Win
Feb 9, 2008
Makati, Philippines
www.myspace.com
All this talk about Metallica and AC/DC releasing new albums over the past month, and I can't believe we all overlooked the new album by Queen + Paul Rodgers, which is due for release here in the U.S. on October 28.

Now, I love Queen music as much as the next guy, and it's no surprise that Queen was one of Iron Maiden's influences (just listen to any live version of "Sanctuary"), but a part of me says that Queen died when Freddie Mercury died, and even further when John Deacon retired for good. Of course, Brian May and Roger Taylor are two of my all-time favorite musicians, but half of Queen just doesn't equal to them calling themselves Queen.

Of course, the same could be said about KISS, The Who and the Rolling Stones, but the bands still have their core members. Queen, on the other hand, is a different story. Though each member made huge contributions to the band's career, it was Mercury who made the lion's share of the songs that made Queen what it was. The band's versatility in incorporating different genres made them legendary, especially with the songs written by Mercury. Most of May and Taylor's compositions were primarily hard rock, which is awesome. But it just isn't Queen without Mercury and Deacon.

Not to say that Queen + Paul Rodgers is a bad idea; it's just something that shouldn't be done on a permanent basis. Even to this day, I'm still afraid to pic up Return of the Champions.

The first single is a well-written ballad. The second one, on the other hand, just doesn't feel like Queen. It sounds too much like Tenacious D's "The Metal."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYl-_uZcu64]"Say It's Not True"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3Xsg4zj10]"C-lebrity"[/ame]

I was looking at this album about 3 or 4 weeks ago in my local store.

I had not even heard about them releasing it. Thats in the UK so I would not have thought that theres a huge campaign. Perhaps its a water testing release if it works there will be more, if not the deal will be cancelled.

Personally I would have loved to go see them, but you are right in saying that Brian May and roger taylor do not constitute "Queen"

Maybe they should ahve ended when Freddie died. He is irreplacable.

I can't believe they actually put out a CD. Weird. I don't get why they don't just form a new band with a new name. Didn't bands used to do that? Spin offs. I guess so they can play Queen top 40 hits when playing live. I hated Bad Company. What generic commercial cheesy crap they were. They were a 70s version of Bon Jovi. The Doors with the guy from The Cult. I mean The Doors wouldn't even be The Doors without Jim Morrison. The only reason I tolerate those awful keyboards is to get to Jim.

Rock music is dry right now. There are almost no decent new rock bands. It makes sense that cover bands are huge and old bands have to reunite.

Actually, I don't know if you guys have noticed, but our world is going to shit. It just isn't as fun as it used to be. People don't hang out as much and not enough heart felt conversations. Its all about gadgets and who has the latest and the greatest this and that. As a society, we have sold out. Remember children playing in the street? How often do you see that now? Remember when nothing mattered accept being with friends in the moment? We better save ourselves, because nothing else will.

I was looking at this album about 3 or 4 weeks ago in my local store.

I had not even heard about them releasing it. That's in the UK so I would not have thought that there's a huge campaign. Perhaps its a water testing release if it works there will be more, if not the deal will be canceled.

The album was officially released in Europe and Japan last month. Yeah, I don't know why there wasn't much marketing over it. Of course, they opted not to release it in the U.S. simultaneously, as it would've been crushed in sales by Metallica's Death Magnetic. But then again, the album will be trounced by AC/DC's Black Ice this month.

Something just not right about Brian's Red Special on this video. It doesn't "sing" like it used to back in the old days. Now it just sounds like an ordinary electric guitar.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhNHtZulQb0]"Cosmos Rockin'"[/ame]

I know what you mean. I always thought Brian May's guitar kind of matched Freddie's voice. Like the guitar version of his voice. But not all Queen's songs were melodic. This clip here is very Chuck Berryish old school blues style. I think they should have just called it a new name. People would know its Queen with Paul Rodgers, but its kind of lame calling it Queen.

I hear your point about the sticking with the band name vs. a whole new name, but I believe it is marketing here. It is much easier to sell out a stadium with the name QUEEN as apposed to some other brand new name that people have to say "Huh? Who's that?" or "Isn't that the band that used to be Queen but is called something else now?". Spin offs never do as well as the original big name. Slash and Velvet Revolver did okay, but nothing near the level of a Guns n Roses and he was a huge part of Guns. People don't want to think more than they have to and if the masses have not heard of the new name it goes right by them without a second thought. Familiar things are what you need to push on them, and in this case, the name Queen is massive. I totally understand what you are saying though. Just my opinion. :loco: I also agree with the lack of that classic Brian May tone in this vid. Wha happun? :cry:

Its unfortunate that selling out stadiums was their goal. They wouldn't be as popular maybe without the name Queen, but it would show some integrity. Remember when David Bowie formed that band Tin Machine? They played The Roxy in LA which fits like 1500 people tops, when Bowie was already huge. That was cool! It shouldn't always be about playing big venues and being a mega-hit.

Would any of us listen to Queen without Freddy Mercury?

Youy go through Queen's reprotiore and they have lots of throw away songs. I think I pretty much have every album. Lots of not very good songs where Brian May and Freddy aren't so Melodic. Still, lots of great songs too. Freddy made the band.

You do have a point, Linda. I guess Brian and Roger just can't walk away from their love of music, and they do have the rights to the Queen name. So, in a way, they're doing this to honor Freddie and all the fans who stood by the band after all these years. After all, the last song on their 1991 album Innuendo pretty much sums up Freddie's dying wish - "The Show Must Go On."

After watching clips of Return of the Champions, I realized that Queen's collaboration with Paul Rodgers isn't so bad after all. He doesn't butcher most of the classic Queen songs like we feared. And this video shows that Freddie's voice and musical talent will live on forever (even in a prerecorded way).

"Any way the wind blows..."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-TR29MROM]"Bohemian Rhapsody" (Live)[/ame]

For those not too familiar with Queen, here's a clip of Brian's Red Special in all its glory. Brian and his father took scraps of firewood and built a guitar with a soul of its own.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m69BrvJNfg]"Brighton Rock Solo"[/ame]