Queensrÿche: American Soldier

A7

Live to Win
Feb 9, 2008
Makati, Philippines
www.myspace.com
I just picked up the new CD from Queensrÿche. Much like Operation: Mindcrime, American Soldier is a concept album - only that it focuses on the lives of U.S. troops worldwide. Majority of the songs feature interview clips of several soldiers that have been out there. The album is very powerful with its interpretation of war in the first person. Perhaps the songs that stand out the most are "Remember Me" and this clip, which features a duet with Geoff Tate's 10-year-old daughter Emily:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvgdydl6wr4]"Home Again"[/ame]

American Soldier may not be Operation: Mindcrime in terms of song quality, but it is one of the best albums that Queensrÿche has recorded ever.

Official Queensrÿche Homepage

Sounds different. Is the album from a kick ass lets get dem arabs perspective or more showing the reality of the war and the unhappiness and bewilderment of the soldiers there? Do the little excerpts of them talking take away from the music?

Sounds different. Is the album from a kick ass lets get dem arabs perspective or more showing the reality of the war and the unhappiness and bewilderment of the soldiers there? Do the little excerpts of them talking take away from the music?

I've listened to the album twice so far, and from what I've observed, the first three songs ("Sliver", "Unafraid" and "Hundred Mile Stare") are about joining the military and undergoing Boot Camp. "At 30,000 Ft." is the POV of an Air Force pilot in the war zone. "The Killer" deals with the horrors of war (much of the song is inspired by Geoff Tate's father, who served in Vietnam). "Middle of Hell" is a POV in the middle of a battle. "If I Were King" centers on losses during battle. "Man Down!" is about a soldier trying to adjust to society after the war. "Remember Me" is about a soldier longing to return home. "Home Again" has two POVs, a soldier and a child left behind. "The Voice" depicts a soldier's experience before his death.

The excerpts of the soldier interviews do not take away from the music at all. They add to the realism of the album's theme.