Queensrÿche - The Mission <-> Hope Leaves

pyr0rrzzz

but still so precious...
Dec 18, 2006
Germany
I just was listening to Operation Mindcrime when suddenly at around 0:38 of "The Mission" a déjà-vu struck me. The vocal melody there reminds me a lot of the one in Hope Leaves (0:14). Is there anybody else noticing it?

Wow, striking resemblance.

Even the lyrics are a little similar

"In the wooden chair beside my window" -Queensryche

"In the corner beside my window"- Opeth

Hmm...

Mikael is always paying little "tributes" to bands that he likes throughout all his albums. In Atonement, as soon as I heard the song the first time when it first (GR) came out, I instantly knew the guitar line was the same as a melodic lyric line from a Heart song The Night. And on Beneath the Mire, when he says "in emptiness", he's paying tribute to his vocal idol Dave Vincent. He's not the first to do these things.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with doing so, just thought someone would be interested since I haven't read about this particular case before.

Everything they did up until 1994's Promised Land (PL included) is godly.

I really like their early stuff too, up to and including Promised Land. After that, though, they went to shit, putting out albums with only a couple decent songs each. It's amazing how quickly they went from such a high to such a low. One could try to write it off as being due to DeGarmo's departure, but they already went downhill on Hear In The Now Frontier, when he was still in the band.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with doing so, just thought someone would be interested since I haven't read about this particular case before.

Hell no! It's a respect thing, you know? I mean, some of the younger fans will get curious to know who Camel, Morbid Angel, Nektar, and other influences Opeth mention are like.

True. It does sound a little bit like "The mission". Don't know if that's intentional or not. Operation Mindcrime has been one of my favorite albums for almost two decades now (I believe I didn't discover it until it had been out for almost a year, which would be 1989 I guess). It was the first concept album I had ever heard, so that might have been one reason for the impact it had on me at the time.