question about detuning your guitars

azal

love is the answer
Nov 12, 2002
Belgrade, Serbia
Visit site
my band just decided to tune to C and I'm wondering what kind of variations, modifications would people reccomend to the guitars in order to keep them sounding good (not muddy) and play well....(action...etc)

help would be appreciated

also I have a 5 string bass.....is there any possible way to keep my B string audible if I tune down 2 whole steps?

or should I maybe tune it up to C and the rest accordingly?

usually when downtuning you're going to want to change your strings to a heavier gauge. otherwise there will be much less tension on the strings, and they will be loose and sloppy. putting fatter strings helps keep the tension on the neck, which is also good because changing the neck's tension will change the bowing of the neck, and basically kill your setup. no big deal, you might have to adjust your truss rod slightly and maybe raise your action a bit too.

You're going to want heavier gauge strings to keep the tension level playable... i.e. so you won't have floppy strings.

Larger strings=more tension. Floating bridges will need to be adjusted. Remove the trem cover on the back of the guitar. Adjust the spring tension first. Do this by adjusting the two screws holdingthe spring claw into the body. They will need to be tightened. Apply 1/4 to 1 turn on each screw, then retune your guitar. Keep doing this until you're tuned where you want to be and where the base of the trem is omewhere between parallel to the strings.

After the guitar has settled (a day or two), you can adjust your neck to get the best string height (if desired).

The intonation is the last thing that really needs adjusting and is the most important. Any good strobe tuner should work... I would avoid using a handheld tuner to intonate, they're just not precise enough.

If you don't know how to do any of this, have it professionally set up. If you're intonation is off, you're going to sound like shit playing with another guitarist.

Darthlardo, As for having a guitar that you can go from standard E to standard Eb, that all depends on the guitar. Some can take those adjustments just fine,others seem to have a bit more problems. IF it's a guitar with a floating trem (floyd, edge, etc..) then it should be blocked, or it'll be a pain going back and fourth.

what everyone else said: get heavier strings an adjust the guitar

why would you want to change the tuning of that 5-string bass anyway??? you have the possibility to play the low notes on the B string (thats actually what it's for), so there's no need to change the tuning to have the tone-range you need.....

it's more a question of fingering and tone.

like if I want to play a tight syncopated riff....the tone is alot brighter and fatter when you're plucking away at an open string then when you are fretting somthing on the B string...which from the start doesn't always sound as rich as the E.

We already knew about getting heavier strings that's already been done...but the other suggestions about adjusting the bridge and stuff is what I really needed.

thanks!

azal: ah, ok, I get your point, I'd try it with normal tuning, but if you want to change it, I think it would be better to use relatively light strings and tune up, so the low B string is a C
But I don't have much experience with using different strings and tunings on a bass so maybe someone else can give better advice, here......

No, you won't hurt the guitar by tuning back and fourth, and a fixed bridge is much easier to adjust, cause you don't have to worry about bridge tension.

The only thing with tuning back and forth is that your intonation will be good for only one tuning. Of course I highly doubt that anyone will notice a differnce live. But if you're ever recording in different tunings you'll need to intone your guitar for different tunings. Of course going from E to Eb may not be enough of a change to make a difference.

Actually I have never noticed a great deal of difference in the intonation, not to say that there isn't one. I am sure that I am also putting a great deal of stress on the neck by varying my tuning so much, but to this day it has not been a problem. I guess I am not that anal about how my guitar is set up, 'cause it is exactly the same as the day I bought it. I think I may have lowered the action a tad, but that is it. When I tune way down, I do get a little buzz on the frets, but its nothing alot of volume won't cure!