Question about my Guitar...

Oct 14, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I have a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser guitar and I've been tuning to Drop D for all the songs I've been writing. And I have to tell you, I definitely dig hearing guitars in Drop B, A#, and A. I'm a HUGE fan of the sound of Parkway Drive especially. Not only this, but my singing range is definitely NOT as good at covering the scales I play in D, C#, or C. Plus its easier for a noob to make good keyboard music in A minor.... JK about that part haha.

In all seriousness

I know what most people are thinking, that I just need to search about the strings to get. And I did. I know I want a low Gauge. So I'm assuming If i bought the DR XX-Low Down-Low strings or whatever their called (Starts at .60) then I'd be covered. Besides that though, I heard from all over the web that if I go in Drop B, let alone Drop A I might want a Baritone Guitar as to not mess up my current C-1 Hellraiser 6-String. Others say I want to have my guitar set up by a tech.

So my only real question:

Do I need a set-up or Baritone Guitar?

is the Hellraiser a floating trem? I forget....

Either way, if you know what you're doing I'm sure you could set it up yourself. I don't have experience with truss rod adjustments so that would be my only concern. I know my guitar (floating trem) gets PISSED when I tune it to something different after it's used to being in one tuning for a long time.

Well, I personally have never tuned lower than Drop C. I use .10 - .46 Ernie Balls and I'm willing to bet I could still drop another whole step with them and be fine, but I have a floating trem and can easily adjust it to work with the strings.

Alright. I got a Tune-O-Matic String Thru. I use Ernie Ball Slinkys right now. From Drop D thru C, there is no tonal difference. When I go down to B, it sounds less thick and more weak. At A, it sounds like complete S***

Well, I personally have never tuned lower than Drop C. I use .10 - .46 Ernie Balls and I'm willing to bet I could still drop another whole step with them and be fine, but I have a floating trem and can easily adjust it to work with the strings.

!!! Drop C with .46 strings?? Drop C with .56 strings on a 25,5" scale is still a bit too flabby for my taste :err:

alriight i just installed some .11-.70s. They sound fucking brutal. But the 70 was soooo hard to get installed. Is there a reason to be worried about the neck? 25.5? that was a jump from .46 to .70 so IDK what to think

You will definitely need a setup. The heavier strings will necessitate an intonation adjustment, a neck adjustment, and most likely some filing of the nut and/or an action adjustment.