Question about Volume Automation

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, been messing around some more with volume automation. I just have one question- is there any way to make volume changes on a track, while still being able to change the whole track's volume fader later? If I try to do that on a track with automation, the fader drops back to where the volume automation was set. But what if I decide afterwards that I want to change some track levels? Is there any way to make the fader move up or down while still keeping the relative automation info? Thanks in advance guys

EDIT: I'm in Pro Tools, btw

I just change the overall volume in the edit window. The minus key (-) is a quick change to get into the volume automation lane if you need, and if you just grab the far right end after your last automation point, it moves the whole drawn volume automation down or up!

It would be nice though if they had a quick key to trim the fader level instead of having to adjust the track automation. Or if they do I haven't found it yet...

You can also just make a volume adjustment to any track through a plugin on that track as long as the plugin's volume hasn't been automated - ie, your master volume or output gain in a compressor or EQ

Don't use an extra plugin just for that. You can either use a VCA or Trim automation mode, or if you don't have those in your version of Pro Tools just change the output volume of the last plugin in your chain.

IMO it takes way longer to adjust any trim automation or setup vca faders. The quickest way is to just grab to the right of your last volume automation point. One keystroke and a mouseclick... No extra automation or faders to deal with. Plus VCA is only available on HD...

I don't see anything wrong with using a trim plug, but I'll usually just adjust the last plugins volume or grab all the automation and move it around. This always used to bug me til I found out that clicking past the last bit trimmed the whole thing. That day was like christmas.

IMO it takes way longer to adjust any trim automation or setup vca faders. The quickest way is to just grab to the right of your last volume automation point. One keystroke and a mouseclick... No extra automation or faders to deal with. Plus VCA is only available on HD...

I don't see anything wrong with using a trim plug, but I'll usually just adjust the last plugins volume or grab all the automation and move it around. This always used to bug me til I found out that clicking past the last bit trimmed the whole thing. That day was like christmas.

So what is this trim plug thing exactly? Is it just like a volume fader that you put as the last plugin on a track?

Yup. A trim plug-in has a fader and a polarity reverse on it. That's it! For all I know they may have included it expressly for the purpose of adjusting your volume when you have a bunch of automation going on... It's in the other category of the plug-in menu...

Yup. A trim plug-in has a fader and a polarity reverse on it. That's it! For all I know they may have included it expressly for the purpose of adjusting your volume when you have a bunch of automation going on... It's in the other category of the plug-in menu...

Awesome, thanks for the help!