Question about my tracks and windows volume control

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
On the windows 'volume control' fader...if i have this fader set to a small distance from -infinite (i.e mute), play a track and then adjust the fader slightly i get a dramatic increase in volume.

If i go through the same with one of my tracks, the increase in volume is really minor. Even when i've 'mastered' my tracks. The difference in volume between both songs is actually HUGE . Why is this? have I not compressed correctly?

But does that mean i've done something to cause my track volume to be raised linearly? nothing changes with the windows volume control.. the only difference is between my tracks and any other tracks i've played....even some amateur ones. Maybe an RMS meter would help me?

I talked to my friend about this. The master volume on the interface doesn't affect anything...but using the mixer software for the profire i can adjust my output volume. However, should windows audio control not be disabled when i'm running my profire? because I can still adjust my volume there. That would make sense because when I had my pod connected up, windows audio was disabled. I also get audio distortion after pro-longed usage of the unit, and then I have to restart my system and profire to get it back to normal again. Faulty drivers? I have the most up to date ones.

Profire mixer settings should be something like this.
Note software returns are turned down a bit.
Monitors connected to out 7-8

profire%20mixer.png

Mine look nothing like this, why have you sent your spdif (assuming that's what you are using for the monitors) to software return 25/26? I'm using mixer out.

I just heard back in the day that this was the best way to set them up?

Disconnect everything. Start over.

Go to the store
Buy 2 x 10ft TRS cables. Braided shield (not foil) and Neutrik connectors. Should be around $20 each

Connect those to output 7-8 and to your monitors.
Set your master volume control to only output 7-8.
Make all your other settings as in the picture above.
NOTE- I don't have any ADAT devices so I have the unused software returns disabled. This also helps stability.

And one more question that may or may not have any significance...are you actually using studio monitors or are you on a set of computer speakers?

Ped you weener, Lol I had no idea you were using spdif man, get some XLR and yeah, i'd agree on just starting over from that.

To be clear guys, his monitors have on-board D/A converters, hence the SPDIF inputs ;) I'd try both those and the analog outputs from the Profire, see which you like better! (meaning, see which has the better DAC's)