Question, Do You Think Most Modern Metal Shreders Can Play Blues?

I've incorporated pentatonics almost entirely into my style.
I almost loathe hearing a second position minor arpeggio in any kind of modern metal now. Done tastefully, cool. Done just for the fact that it sounds like "sick sweeps brah" and it's the easiest way to make musically uneducated people think your a good guitar player, fuck that. I will not be put into the same category as THOSE kids. </rant>

Here's an example of the pentatonic stuff

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CkkIyBs0Jw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

There are better examples of bluesy esqe playing on our new ep that's coming out soon. Particularly the tracks invasion, examination and ascension.
I got a little bit of soul in me :p

no way. surely there are some metal shredders that can pull it off with the right feeling and attitude, but for the most part metal guys are so focused on speed and precision that they often disregard their vibrato, or just don't think about it.
when playing blues, sometimes it's about playing just one note,with the right attitude, using the right vibrato. expression is key. and that's a VERY difficult thing to learn, and much different from shredding (captain obvious, thank you).

at one point, after i got the basic hang of shredding/playing fast, i basically stopped being interested in FAST guys (although it IS impressive sometimes ;) ), and focused much more on guys like amott, loomis etc...especially mike amott rarely does anything technically difficult per say, but try to nail his leads with the same feeling. much much tougher than it seems.
with blues, it's the same thing, just even more drastic.

See, this does not sound at all pentatonic to me, at least not in the traditional sense. When I think "pentatonic metal leads" I think of Kirk Hammett and the Iron Maiden crew and immediately want to cut my fingers off. Thank you, sir, for doing the same but for a very different reason. :lol:

Well you do have a point. The standard pentatonic scale can get pretty annoying!

Well I think that you could expand this conversation to include the concept: can most symphonic composers write good three minute pop songs? Or can most jazz guitarists play Texas Swing? I believe that you play the music that you do because something about that kind of music resonates within you. I personally don't play blues because although I can appreciate it, I don't have a desire to musically speak that way. For a while I thought that there was something wrong with me because I basically can't play within the blues idiom. Then I read in an interview that Steve Vai admitted that he can't play blues almost at all. His musical vocabulary, concepts and personality don't fit within the context of "blues". He can play in a blues-y manner but "real blues" escapes him.

I've resisted replying to this thread as I'm a big fan of both blues and metal, but truth be told, in my heart, I'll listen to some good old blues over most metal these days and while saying that may get me kicked out of the club :), it's the truth.

As I type this I'm watching the DVD "Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble at El Mocambo" and I have to say I don't know of many metal guitarists today that could play with as much power and soul that Stevie had on that night. If you've never seen this particular performance from very early in his career (on the Texas Flood tour) you need to do yourself a favor and see it - the new DVD version has a 5.1 mix and widescreen presentation - great sound, a cool club environment and only a few cameras so it's not bouncing back and forth all the time like most concert videos these days.

I know it's not the most complex music in the world, but Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton were so damned tight with Stevie it's incredible to watch, one of the best backing bands ever.

And for the record, my blues love did not start with Stevie and Texas Blues, I come from a Chicago Blues (Freddie King, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, and later artists like Luther Allison) and blossomed out from there. I'd say my blues collection is twice the size of my metal collection which is quite large.

As was stated before - people play what resonates with them, but it's also true that great guitar is great guitar regardless.

Stevie's version of Voodoo child (Slight Return) that night was awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a matter of being able to get into the groove.

Taking your modes and transforming them into chords and melodies is very different than just learning a pentatonic scale and sticking to that formula.

My opinion is that to play the blues, you have to get that attitude, that...let's say "feel" very deeply...a good guitar player can fake that, but sooner or later, he will go over the top. Hell, even John Scofield did that and he's no metalhead. Same with Landau.

To get passable blues...well, my opinion is that you should be less concerned about showing off and more into the overall feel of it.

P.S I suck at metal, blues, jazz, funk and even choir guitar playing

I generally find the blues horrendously boring, sorry! It's an over explored area of music that's just outlived itself way too long. Jazz on the other hand. Ive been studying my jazz for a long time it's just such a massive area of music, and so fun to play! I try to include some jazz in my shred, because, well, Emil Werstler and Michael Keene are my favourite guitarists :p

I can't shred and I can't play blues..what am I :(

but if we talking about blues + metal.
I instantly think of Mikael Akerfeldt.

he probably not a shredder but definitely a great metal guitarist
and his blues playing capability is outstanding.
just ..slick

He never plays blues dude. It's always jazz or melodic minor stuff really

I'm the originator of this post, and i agree with MAXMEDLOW. I can handle about a set's worth of a blues band, then it starts getting redundent. Blues is the meat and potoatos on your plate, while jazz is the tossed salad, the vegatable medley, and the sauces. I guess metal would be the desserts, and punk would be the 40ouncer you wash it all down with.

Enjoy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xPN47BnKG8&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLtFegESMUk&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: