Question For Atlanta Residents

VENOM4188 said:
hey no problem, do you go to any local shows???? :p

I go to the ones that are worthwhile, but not many lately. I work second shift so I would have to take time off to see them. My wife is a nursing student though. Once she graduates then I will be able to take a small pay cut to get one of those day jobs. :loco:

Bryant

Bryant said:
I go to the ones that are worthwhile, but not many lately. I work second shift so I would have to take time off to see them. My wife is a nursing student though. Once she graduates then I will be able to take a small pay cut to get one of those day jobs. :loco:

Bryant

where and who is worth seeing here??? I have lived her 3 years and have yet to go to a show. My woman friend would enjoy going to see shows as well. I could not talk her into going to PP5, for some reason she didn;t want to hang out with my metalhead buddies from all over :headbang:

VENOM4188 said:
where and who is worth seeing here??? I have lived her 3 years and have yet to go to a show. My woman friend would enjoy going to see shows as well. I could not talk her into going to PP5, for some reason she didn;t want to hang out with my metalhead buddies from all over :headbang:

I really got out of the bar scene, but there were never any metal bands around here (after the early nineties) and the place that did book cool party bands that played 80's stuff closed up. The owner retired.
To be honest, if you want quality music, but don't mind if it is a softyer genre, go the The Loft. They have a great sound system and usually book cool acoustic rock bands there and electric bands as well.
Brother cane has played there a couple of times (of course they are no longer now) and Jackal's lead vocalist, Jessee James Dupree has played there. If you buy the Friday's paper, it will show you who is playing where. No metal though that I know of. We had a maetal bar downtown called Seargent D's but they didn't make it and it was only open six months or so, but they tried....

Bryant

This has to be one of the longest post here and its about food! If any one of you are near Daytona Beach let me know and I will meet you at a place called Woody's BBQ with an open kitchen type theme near me for lunch or dinner. If you don't like it then I will treat. By the sounds of this post maybe we should have a get together at the Varsity or somewhere else.........The real question is what kind of sause does everybody like? Me, I like the sweet stuff. See everybody in September.

This is an excellent thread. While not a native, I can say from personal experience that yes, there is a Vortex up the road from the venue on Peachtree. Kinda discovered it during the PPUSA II fest.

Finding new and GOOD places to eat in walking distance of the venue is pretty important. This festival is a CELEBRATION of music, a good time to be had by all. Nothing spoils a good time like nasty food, especially if it gives you various problems afterwards! :yuk: I'm of course alluding the the gyro joint near the venue.

Last year we ate at an Indian restaurant near the Riviera club (on Thursday night of course). It was pretty decent, overall. Been dying to try that Thai place where Peachtree meets 14th...is it any good, folks?

As for stuff on the way to Atlanta, if you're heading there via I-85 and need to stop in Montgomery (my old hometown), you could certainly do so. There's several great restaurants in Alabama's little capital city. :) I see someone recommended the Country's BBQ in their own neck of the woods; the one in Montgomery on the Atlanta Hwy is SUPERB food, really great Southern cuisine. Practically across from it is my favorite Thai restaurant in the world, Lek's Taste of Thailand. If you tastes run the exotic direction and you happen to be in Montgomery, don't miss it!

I noticed people talking about Dreamland BBQ too. I used to think that was only in Mobile, AL, as you can see it from the Hwy (I-65) and it's been THERE for years. Well, one just opened up here in Baton Rouge, LA, and so me and my love went to try it. While the sauce is ok (tangy more than anything), the ribs are TREMENDOUSLY good. The smoked flavor is to die for. The best ribs I have ever had...in a restaurant. :Smug: (A neighbor to my parents in Montgomery makes the best I've ever had, bar none.) The second best goes to Tony Roma's, a chain that used to have a dry-rub Kentucky style rack of ribs that was great too. Shame they stopped offering it.
Now and Forever,
lmjh

VENOM4188 said:
well that is pretty much what I guessed. If they ever is a cool show we should hook up, bring your wife and I will see if my female friend wants to come

Hey there....you guys need to come check us out next time we play out. We're trying to do one more gig before the PPV pre-party show, but if you'll email me, I'll get you on our mailing list so you know. We're supposed to get with Steve at the Masquerade about booking some more shows soon....

Later!
Jon Bodan
Halcyon Way
www.halcyonway.com

VENOM4188 said:
well that is pretty much what I guessed. If they ever is a cool show we should hook up, bring your wife and I will see if my female friend wants to come

I hate Brother Cane broke up. They liked playing in Columbus. Though far from metal, they were a cool rock and roll band !! They were from the Birmingham area anyway so they were semi-local.

I'll keep my eyes posted. If nothing else, we can hook up at an open mic night or something. Me and my brother play a little 70's rock and southern rock with me on acoustic and harmony vox and he on lead vox from time to time, but since I have been on second shift, we haven't done that in a while. Slayer just doesn't come accross well on acoustic so we stick to rock type stuff, but we have a good time and if you drink enough beer, we sound pretty good too. :loco:

Bryant