Question for band regarding length of MF

promark747

New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2012
As I stated in another thread, I think MF is close to a perfect album. I have read that it was difficult to complete (understandable considering its complexity), and I was wondering how the CD's running time affected the final product. At just over 74 minutes, it is right up against the maximum length permitted for a single CD.

So my question for the band would be: was there any extra material that was dropped due to time constraints? The only thing I can think of (purely speculation) is that perhaps there may have been a vocal interlude or quiet section between Hide and Seek and Destiny Calls...only because I find myself a bit exhausted after HaS and then it jumps right into DC, which of course is another mentally involved and energetic piece. And much of the early part of the album has these kind of breaks, where Tommy's solo vocals kind of let the listener catch his breath.

I think that one of the things makes MF so great is that there aren't any unnecessary repeats of sections as I find with other groups (whether it be Dream Theater, Tool, etc.). You can tell that every riff and drum fill was meticulously thought out to avoid repetition. I guess my curiosity has to do with whether some of this happened to coincide with the fact that the length was pushing the outer limits, and that forced the band to make sure every note counted.

Someday it would be great to read about "The Making of MF" or maybe have a special CD containing demo versions, etc. I'm sure many of us would buy such extra material.

I kind of feel funny discussing this now, as the album has been out for several years! But like I said before, I'm playing catch up.

"Better is the enemy of the good" - if something is perfect or is close to be perfect, don't touch it, don't let it to be destroyed :)
If there's any material left from last MF or TGE sessions it should be re-worked and put to next SW album, IMO.

I wondered that myself. Chances are though if there were any cuts, they were either cut for a reason or put into consideration for later work. My guess is it was likely coincidence, especially because Back In Time could easily have been trimmed down if they were pressed for space, but wasnt.

As is, 74 minutes of music is a great value, but with a band like Seventh Wonder, 30 minutes would have been spectacular let alone a full CD of 74 minutes.