Question for Bobby (concerning Fates Warning)

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
When you learn the FW songs and play them live, are you playing the same drum lines as FW recorded, or do you learn the songs and drum away to them in whatever strikes you as fits best? And perhaps keep key fills?

Just curious how a drummer approaches playing the recorded works of others..,

Sorry, but to my knowledge, I don't think Bobby reads these. I'm sure he's got his email listed somewhere... better to try that instead.

When you learn the FW songs and play them live, are you playing the same drum lines as FW recorded, or do you learn the songs and drum away to them in whatever strikes you as fits best? And perhaps keep key fills?

Just curious how a drummer approaches playing the recorded works of others..,

Just an observation: Fates Warning isn't exactly the type of music that lends itself to improv on the drums once the arrangement is set in stone. If you watch/listen to Bobby in Halford he stays very faithful to the original drum tracks when they play Priest songs, be it the Scott Travis, Dave Holland, Les Binks, Simon Philips or John Hinch era. The time to put your stamp on music is when you're in the studio tracking new songs. Nobody wants to hear a drummer or guitar player screwed around with and wank over something that is perfect as it is.