Fates Warning - Fwx !!!

The Fiddler

Just Do It.
Nov 27, 2002
Heaven and Hell
Every three years or so, I'm reminded why Fates Warning has been my favorite band ever since Parallels. Jim Matheos has never compromised his songwriting vision for something that may be deemed more commercially successful or popular. His songwriting (and Ray's of late) is always a direct reflection of what he feels. It's immensely personal stuff, and because of that I can relate to it more than anything else out there.

For me, FW is the definitive progressive metal band of all time. Devoid of excessive excess (e.g. DT's 6 degrees), devoid of what's nu (Queenryche ever since HITNF), and devoid of fantasy, FW delivers meditative, dreamlike journies like few others can - album after album.

Their latest, and tenth effort, "FWX" is undoubtedly the most comprehensive and emotional work of their legendary career. It's hard to imagine a band this great "putting it all together", but Jim and Ray truly did just that on FWX. FWX is the perfect marriage of "APSOG" and "Disconnected". FWX is catchy, yet deep. Direct, yet lush. Every song is complete and polished.

There is not a weak track on the disc, although certain tracks will catch you more at first than others. After three listens you will realize that every song is a gem of perfection. "Wish", "Handful of Doubt", "Another Perfect Day", and "Left Here" are those that will hit FW fans the hardest on first listen. Beautiful, yet often somber - they are just what you would expect from FW - but even better. The sound sampling and programming add to the texture of the disc, not unlike Tool, Pain of Salvation, or Engine.

My disc of the year for 2004 - hands down. :worship:

It's time for these guys to make a trip to ProgPower USA.

In complete agreement. I can't get it out of my head, my car cd player, Winamp, nothing! It's beautiful, brilliant, eloquent, brooding, hopeful, charasmatic and stunning all in one nice shiny little package. *sigh*
Another Perfect Day is so tasty it should be on the menu at Chili's

I'll be doing an indepth review very soon. Think I need to listen to it a few hundred more times...

I'm sorry guys, but this album was a major disappointment for me. As I posted on another site, this marks the effective breakdown of Progressive Metal's "holy trinity" of bands - Queensryche, Dream Theater, Fates Warning.

FWX is equally as boring and forgetful as the other two bands' recent releases. There is too much of that Engine and TOOL influence in their sound, making me think they are trying to attract, or fit in, with the nu metal audience. To their credit, some of the keyboard work (what little there was) sounded interesting and Mark Zonder's drumming was excellent as ever, but the guitar work and Ray's singing felt flat and uninspired (mostly due to the laid back, atmospheric songwriting). - I hope he fairs better with Redemption.

I agree it's a great combination of past albums, and it even sounds much like a followup to Disconnected, but at least that album had more of a "progressive" vibe to it than this one offers.

Being a long time Fates Warning fan and having been disapointed with teh last 2 releases, yes I did not care for APSOG. I am on the other side of the fence than Hunter here. I think FWX is AWESOME!!! I feel that maybe the OSI side project for Matheos and the tour with Queensryche and Dream Theater has rejuvinated Fates HUGELY!!!

FWX to me is the best thing they release since Indside Out, which I love. As it's been said FWX has a mix of alot of the older and newer album combined, hence the name more than likley. I have listened to it every day since I got it, more than a few times a day as well , that says alot to me about a strength of an album. Specially when there is so much metal out right now to take in.

My top 5 of the year so far

Mercenary - 11 Dreams
Into Etnernity - Buried in Oblivion
Fates Warning - FWX
Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of a D-Generation
Asperity - The Final Demand

Bear

I am unsure of this album at this point (only heard it once so far). I agree with hunter about the "tool" influence. Some of the sounds on this album are not very "Fates-ish". But I also agree with the fiddler, this is a very good merge of "APSOG" and "Disconnected". When I first heard APSOG I did not like it at all. Then I saw FW perform it (the entire album start to finish) live at JAXX in Virginia. I was sold. I am sure that as I listen to "FWX" more, the brilliance this album will seep in. There has never been an album that FW has made that I have not liked in some way. 13shades, I look forward to reading your in depth review.

Creeps said:
When they start releasing albums that remind me (even a little) of No Exit then I'll be interested. Everything I've heard by them for the last several years has completely bored me to tears. :Smug:

"No Exit" was released 16 years ago! I was 18 back then and loved that CD then and still do now. But over the last 16 years I've mellowed quite a bit. Lots of changes in life, priorities, and perspectives. Relationships born and relationships died. Lives begun and lives ended.

Jim Matheos is the one songwriter that best captures those same emotions I've felt over the last 16 years. I agree that this introspective type of music isn't for everyone, but that's one reason why I admire Jim so much. He stays true to himself and doesn't live in the past trying to be something that he isn't anymore.

I'm not knocking them for doing what they obviously want to (which is bore me :) ) but c'mon, it's metal, let's pick up the pace once in a while. Hheheheh No Exit and even the earlier albums I like, I just can't get into what they're doing lately. At least I have my old albums still.

Just got this today, I like it quite a bit! Atmospheric with some great contrast and excellent production, the best I've heard from them in awhile. I'll be talking with Ray tomorrow night (Detritus interview), drop me a line if you have any questions you want me to ask him...

Neal
MysticX10@msn.com

Imagine a world without Fates Warning.
Pretty scary, huh? I think so, too. I personally like FWX, and I guarantee that by this time next year I'll be going apeshit over it. I must point out that it's more song-oriented than their last two albums, which had more of a conceptual feel (A Pleasant Shade Of Gray being a big "duh" there). The music isn't as technical as that of their previous albums, but I think it still maintains a level of complexity with its overlapping parts. At times, I feel as if each instrument is playing its own song. Ray sounds superb (as always), and I'm glad to see his continued participation as a lyricist. Though I would love to see them live again, I hope it's without Nick D'Virgilio on drums. They really need somebody who can capture Zonder's feel, particularly with cymbal work. Let's push for a Fates tour featuring special guest Mike Portnoy!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

It's good..but it's Fates. Heal Me by far to ME is the best most Fates-sounding song on the album. It's not receiving the statement that APSOG and Disconnected did, but it's important that it doesn't sound like those 2 albums that much IMO for the sake of writing new, different kinds of songs and showing new and different influences.

I am stil hopeful John Arch and Jim put out a full length within the next year or 2.

Kyle

:yuk: I couldn't agree more with Hunter...This album is flat out terrible.....It is very slow and very boring...Jim plays a few power chords here and there and this album doesn't come close to APSOG and seems like Disconnected Part 2... Sorry, this band, one of my all time favorite bands, just needs to call it quits if they haven't already...A weak effort IMO...Give me their old stuff from
The Spectre Within anyday....Again, a band I've seen many times and love their old stuff but this album is just :loco:

lunatic :headbang:

I am one of the People who LOVE FWX!
Fates has always been one of my favorite bands and have yet to release an album that I haven't loved.

More people really need to pay attention to this band.

DreamNeonBlack said:
I am one of the People who LOVE FWX!
Fates has always been one of my favorite bands and have yet to release an album that I haven't loved.

More people really need to pay attention to this band.

I agree with you on your last part, that more people need to listen to them but this last album is just BAD IMO...but, to each his own and you can't ever go wrong by loving FW!

lunatic :headbang: