Fates Warning Suggestions

Kyra

Feb 21, 2002
Visit site
In preparation for the upcoming Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning tour, I'm looking for some advice about the Fates Warning albums I don't have. I have Perfect Symmetry, Parallels, and A Pleasant Shade of Gray. What do FW fans think about the others? Are they likely to play John Arch era stuff on this tour?

thanks! :)
Chris

Kyra said:
In preparation for the upcoming Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning tour, I'm looking for some advice about the Fates Warning albums I don't have. I have Perfect Symmetry, Parallels, and A Pleasant Shade of Gray. What do FW fans think about the others? Are they likely to play John Arch era stuff on this tour?

thanks! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Chris

"No Exit" is a must have, IMO, as well as "Awaken the Guardian". :headbang:

Stacy

FataMorgana said:
"No Exit" is a must have, IMO, as well as "Awaken the Guardian". !
headbob.gif

Stacy

I agree, You'll have all of their best material by adding these two albums to your Fates collection. "Awaken..." is John Arch's best recorded performance with FW.

\m/
Dustin

Inside Out is a very good album. It was the last with Joe Dibiase and Frank Aresti, some great songs on that album.

Bear

Not for nothing, but you should definitely get Inside Out. That is a great album, and they will likely play 2 songs from that disc. Being that they will be given next to no time to play, I don't think they will play too much old stuff; especially John Arch stuff.

Definitely need Awaken the Guardian and No Exit, both classics (I have them in my store if you need). Some people don't like John Arch's vocals on Awaken though, to me, they are divine :)

Agreed! 'Awaken..' is definitely the best with John Arch. My favorite with Ray, you already have. Perfect Symmetry. That albumn holds some really great memories in my earlier days so I'm really biased towards it. While I liked No Exit I feel that Ray just didn't have the control like he found on the following discs. Just my opinions....

Axeman said:
My favorite with Ray, you already have. Perfect Symmetry. That albumn holds some really great memories in my earlier days so I'm really biased towards it....

Same Here!!! Great memories from 89'-90' come flooding back when I pop this Album in, That was when I was just a peach-fuzz, pimple-faced 8th grader in Jr. High. This was the album that first introduced me to the Prog Metal genre. I also feel that Joe Dibiase's (one of my all-time bass hero's!) best performance is on this album. Dibiase and Zonder's syncopated patterns on this recording still blow my mind!

Along with Maidens "Somewhere in Time", Fates Warining's "Perfect Symmetry" was a catylist for me wanting to play bass...

...it definatly is a timeless prog metal classic, and should be for any repective progressive metal fan and musician for years to come!

\m/
Dustin

I prefer "No Exit" and the Arch years, I can't see them playing any of that era songs live, however. On the otherhand, Arch does have a new EP coming out through Metal Blade. If he can get a band together and tour, then you would most likely hear some revised versions of the first 3 albums, which, with modern technology, would be toooooooo awesome.

Thanks everyone! Just got back from out of town and it's great to see so many suggestions. This will help. :) I certainly plan on checking out Awaken from what was written here, but maybe it won't be as much of a priority if I'm pressed for listening time.

Thanks again. :)

Chris

ProgMetalFan said:
"Disconnected" is my favorite.

You know, I could have sworn that not long ago, on more than one forum (not this one though), a lot of people didn't like Disconnected and I heard a lot of references to it being a downfall for Fates Warning. But now no one is saying they don't like it!

Kyra said:
Thanks everyone! Just got back from out of town and it's great to see so many suggestions. This will help. :) I certainly plan on checking out Awaken from what was written here, but maybe it won't be as much of a priority if I'm pressed for listening time.

Thanks again. :)

Chris

I´ve been a long time Fates fan and I must admit that I love both Disconnected and A pleasent shade of grey, this musical direction that they have taken really gets to something deep inside... they are fantastic. But I love all the older stuff too.

Kind Regards
One of six Brothers :headbang:

Kyra said:
You know, I could have sworn that not long ago, on more than one forum (not this one though), a lot of people didn't like Disconnected and I heard a lot of references to it being a downfall for Fates Warning. But now no one is saying they don't like it!

I didn't care for it for the longest time... it's a very brave album... and some people might find it uncomfortable to listen to... but after awhile I realized its genius

Yep. Everyone hated Disconnected. It is probably my favorite FW album that I own. But I don't know how much I count because I am one of thoes people that really don't like Fates that much. They are definately a "love 'em or hate 'em" kind of band.

Mephistopheles said:
Yep. Everyone hated Disconnected. It is probably my favorite FW album that I own. But I don't know how much I count because I am one of thoes people that really don't like Fates that much. They are definately a "love 'em or hate 'em" kind of band.

I was hooked on Disconnected on my first listen. I still feel like the first few songs an an attempt to get a more 'mainstream' audience for this album, though. I love the entire album, but especially the last songs!!!

Of course, The Ivory Gate Of Dreams (No Exit) has been my favorite Fates song for the longest time...

I love all of the Fates albums, and do to agree with the above suggestions that Awaken The Guardian and No Exit are a good place to go next. I recommend Disconnected as well if you really enjoyed APSOG.

Disconnected requires a long adjustment period...although I still question whether One and Pieces Of Me fit in with the remainder of the album, they are not bad songs and increase the album's variety, distinguishing it from its morose predecessor...