Fates Warning theory for 2009

Anybody else besides me doubt that Ray can hit those high notes he used to hit? Sure doesn't sing like he did on NO EXIT and PARALLELS with the recent Fates stuff and certainly not with Redemption.

He doesn't hit them anymore. He's changed how he sings, and how those songs sound.

I'm salivating at this thread.....and I can't contain myself anymore.....I apologize in advance if this turns into a truly random stream-of-(un)consciousness)...

Acquiring Fates is a major step in itself, and even Glenn has said himself over the years that it was one of the main items on his much depleted wishlist, but nobody was really holding their breath. The guy that brought POS, Evergrey, BG, Gamma Ray, Edguy (etc., etc.) over and exposed these bands to the fact that they have NA fans, the guy that put together a Conception reunion, the guy that has done various special-guest-appearances and all-star hodgepodges (acoustic jams, clinics, main-stage events, whatever) that just RULE!...even he rolled his eyes in disgust anytime someone mentioned Fates or Shadow Gallery.

I can understand that Fates is no longer interested in slugging it out in the NA club circuit. However, it always astounded me that Fates seems content to hit the Euro tour circuit on occasion and play the music-halls, but they wouldn't give a thought to hitting a stage of honor at Center Stage to be worshipped and adored by their NA fanbase. Like I said...acquiring Matheos and the boys and locking that deal down is a big step...

...but...with that booking...you know the gears will start turning...and the faithful will start gossiping...

I have always speculated that...(when and if Glenn ever booked Fates)...he would try to negotiate some extra special set of some kind. Hell, it's worked with POS, WMD, Evergrey, Jorn, etc. Unless it's like totally pulling teeth to deal with the band and/or management, I don't know why they wouldn't go for it... it's only a one-off for a truly dedicated audience. Could it really be asking too much? Maybe...maybe not...

Obviously, a lot of the ex-members have moved on and found other callings, but maybe Joe could shape up his fingers for a song or two, Frank could rehash a few licks, Steve and Mark might be recruited to bang out a number or two. I don't really know how these "special-guest" things work out, but I'm assuming Glenn picks up their travel, food, rooms, etc. while they hang out, drink with the fans, and spend the whole weekend signing autographs, taking pics, and being gushed over. Doesn't sound like a bad gig. Hell, the Mountain King did it, Midnight did it, Timo did it, along with a few others. Was the cost worth the payoff?

Additionally, I've always wondered about John Arch. I know he has a family, a job, a life... But he did resurface to do that very original EP a few years back that left the fans wanting more. Obviously, the guy still had some chops. I'm sure he practised up some, but I remember reading an interview, and I think, mostly, that voice just comes naturally to him. I don't remember what the incentive was to do it. Was it him?...or Slagel?...or Portnoy?...I don't remember the driving force that brought him briefly back. Evidently, that EP experience was enough for him...cuz he's been out of the scene ever since. (I do hope he managed to make a little $$$ for that EP...dude deserves it). Anyway...I digress...even if no one other band members are pursued, the obvious pick would be for John to make an appearance to belt out a song or two.

Regardless of whether any of this happens, it is universally acknowledged that Fates is basically Ray & Jim now (or maybe just Jim). Hard to accept for the long-time fans, maybe even hard to accept for the band...watching their fanbase dwindle over the years. Kinda like Savatage...at a certain point, the band says, "what's the point?" Nowadays...it's just Fates...what you see is what you get...be happy that we're still around.

That being said, I know we'll see something truly special on stage that night that we would never be able to see otherwise. You can count on that. The extent of it's magnificence...will be up to the eye of the beholder, I imagine.

On a side note, after reading talk about the various members...it reminds me of the day my wife and I had lunch with Damond Jiniya, Joey Vera, and Mark Zonder when we saw the Savatage/Fates tour. Hell, the weirdest thing was that Joey recognized us the minute we walked into the club. We were 200 miles from home and about 8 hours early for the show...and...from that point, we were inner circle...hang out, do lunch, do sound-check, chill out before the show, etc. We'd met Joey a few times over the years, and he (along with all the Armored Saint boys) are the nicest, down-to-earth guys, and very appreciative of their fans. Zonder was a treat to visit with, very pleasant, cordial, and funny, although he seemed totally out-of-place on a rock tour...haha! I have a lot of respect for those guys personally, and professionally as well for their ability to continue to make their living doing what they do...and what they love.

The only one I really haven't had much contact with in Fates is Jim...but he's a quiet mellow guy. Over the years, I've had conversations, sit-downs, and/or beers with Ray, Joe, Frank, and Steve and they were all just happy as hell to get to know their fans.

What's the point to all this diatribe (sheesh...there's a point here?). Well, the point is...knowing these guys (or at least a little about them)...you couldn't ask for a better quality group of people to assemble for a weekend in Atlanta to hang out with the fans and play a set...

But I'll bet Glenn's already thought of that...

Now I've gotta go spin some Fates!

Rock on!

Here's my guess. If Zonder isn't behind the drums, I think they would ask good friend Mike Portnoy to step in like he did in the past

Then maybe, just maybe we could get a little taste of some OSI at Progpower.

I'm just tossing it out there because I'm the type of person who likes to dream big ya know...

This is the way I look at it. For me, it is already a huge freaking deal that Fates Warning in any form are playing ProgPower. Would it be great to see members from the past? Sure! Will I be let down if there are not special appearances? NO WAY! I was in high school when a fellow classmate handed me Night On Brocken to listen to and I have been eternally grateful ever since. It's a shame it took me until a few years ago to see them for the very first time and it was only an opening slot so it was very short. I assumed then that I would never see a headline slot by them. Based on all the talk in the past about how Jim just did not seem to be interested in doing PP, I just never really thought they would. If someone said, are you surprised about the FW announcement, I would quote Clark W. Griswold with" If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now. "

I know it's fun to speculate on the possibilities and I know we have come to expect great things from Glenn. If Glenn manages to arrange past member appearances then that would be awesome for sure but as far as I am concerned, he has already pulled off greatness by landing FW at all.

This is the way I look at it. For me, it is already a huge freaking deal that Fates Warning in any form are playing ProgPower. Would it be great to see members from the past? Sure! Will I be let down if there are not special appearances? NO WAY! I was in high school when a fellow classmate handed me Night On Brocken to listen to and I have been eternally grateful ever since. It's a shame it took me until a few years ago to see them for the very first time and it was only an opening slot so it was very short. I assumed then that I would never see a headline slot by them. Based on all the talk in the past about how Jim just did not seem to be interested in doing PP, I just never really thought they would. If someone said, are you surprised about the FW announcement, I would quote Clark W. Griswold with" If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now. "

I know it's fun to speculate on the possibilities and I know we have come to expect great things from Glenn. If Glenn manages to arrange past member appearances then that would be awesome for sure but as far as I am concerned, he has already pulled off greatness by landing FW at all.

Isn't that exactly what I said??:lol::lol::lol:

Nice, I am just glad to see them in a headlining slot again where they can explore some of their material... It's going to be great!!!

Brett

You guys have such a great way of saying all that shit I just said...you just use fewer words...

It's a problem I deal with...I know...very sorry...

CAN'T WAIT FOR FATES! AAAAHHHHH!

Rock on!

I really hope Arch is there, that's the era I was in high school and got hooked on, Spectre and Guardian are necessary in any metal collection.

Whatever line-up shows up in Atlanta,its gonna be awesome! I can't think of any era Fates Warning that is NOT classic!

Night on Brocken- humble beginnings,but the album was something fresh when it came out and still sits high above most

Spectre Within- this was the first great disc in a long line of great things from Fates

Awaken The Guardian- Can anything top this disc for originality and power? What once was thought to be John Arch's swansong is a classic piece of unblemished vocallizing. Complete and total classic!

No Exit- A change in direction but Ray Alder hit this one out of the park! Many people said..."John Who?"

Perfect Symmetry- Another twist in direction,but an all time progressive masterpiece!!!

Parallels-A weaker version of Symmetry...still an awesome disc!

Inside Out- Grossly under appreciated and also the downfall of Frank Aresti. This is still my favorite recent Fates disc.

APSOG- Mind numbing,progressive,thought provoking...sheer brilliance and the end of another era!!!

Disconnected...moody,atmospheric prog with a slight change in direction from the previous. Ray has really changed his vocal delivery in the past few years,and the songs have grown into multi part madness.

X - While this disc is still great,its a departure from the past and I feel that Fates may be running out of things to say.

2009???????? Whats in store? Its gonna be great as long as its Jim and Ray.

Can't wait for ProgPowerX!!!!!