Fates Warning in 2009

It is a fact that DT were inspired by Fates, and that they hold each other in very high regard. More well-known does not mean better, per se - they're just different. We wouldn't have the pleasure of DT's presence were it not for Fates being around first to inspire them. That alone is all that needs to be said. :)

P.S. I freaking missed being there like you couldn't believe!! Without a doubt we'll be there next year.

I certainly think that FW belong at PPUSA X, but NOT in a headliner's slot.

Are you kidding me? If Fates Warning doesn't belong in a headliners slot of a ProgPower Metal festival then no one is worthy. Maybe you missed the sence of drama in the video presentation with the whole "ten years in the making" thing. Obviously Glen thought they were worthy or he would not have been chasing them for ten years. Oh yeah, he also felt strong enough about it to make them the headliner of the 10th anniversary. Yeah, I think they deserve it and more than belong. ProgPowerUSA cemented its self this year with Iced Earth for power metal. Next year it will make the ultimate statement by hosting the ultimate prog metal act of my life time.

It is a fact that DT were inspired by Fates, and that they hold each other in very high regard. More well-known does not mean better, per se - they're just different. We wouldn't have the pleasure of DT's presence were it not for Fates being around first to inspire them. That alone is all that needs to be said. :)

I don't know you but I love you. :loco:

I am a Fates n00b and their catalog is so expansive, where should I start?

This is not an easy one as the catalog is so diverse. The arch era stuff is bit heavier with them becoming a cleaner sounding band with Ray and Mark. Then there is PSOG....the one song cd........brilliant!

Here are the albums:

Night on Bröcken (1984)
The Spectre Within (1985)
Awaken the Guardian (1986)
No Exit (1988, reissued 2007)
Perfect Symmetry (1989, reissued 2008)
Parallels (1991)
Inside Out (1994)
A Pleasant Shade of Gray (1997)
Disconnected (2000)
FWX (2004)

Maybe grab Parallels of Perfect Symmetry. No Exit is the first with Ray and PS is the first with Zonder. They sound like two different bands from Night on brocken vs. the most recent stuff. You can't go wrong with any of it but I am a huge fan boy so you may not want to take my word for it.

No Exit (1988, reissued 2007)
Perfect Symmetry (1989, reissued 2008)
Parallels (1991)

The above 3 would be my recommendations to start with. No Exit is the heaviest of the 3. Also, I found that it took a few listens to get into Paralells, but it's a brilliant CD.

FW also did a "best of" called "Chasing Time" -- although I'm not sure if it's still in print. If it is, that might be the very best place to start.

I've recently seen Chasing Time available at places like Borders so it should still be available and I think it's a good place for beginners.

I started with Still Life myself having had no advice beforehand.

I'm probably one of the few not excited about the announcement. Fact is, I've tried liking Fates because of the high esteem that they have in the community. I've probably seen them live three times and I've bought a few albums. Unfortunately, they bore me to tears. There is not one song that stands out for me.

I'm glad they seem to excite the fan base, but it means an early evening for me.

Jason

I have seen FW before and they put on a good show, for sure. However, I have always felt that FW was overrated and yes, I prefer the Arch era to the Alder era. I certainly think that FW belong at PPUSA X, but NOT in a headliner's slot. Just my 2 cents. I would have preferred to have seen Evergrey back in the HL position. Oh well. It's still gonna rock regardless.

If Fates Warning doesn't deserve a headlining spot at propower no band does...

ALL HAIL!!

Yeah, I don't see how Fates can be in a lower slot. they are one of the few undisputed headliners that haven't played PP yet.

As for best albums, I prefer the first three from the Alder era, from No Exit to Parallels. The newest stuff seems a little less prog and more modern rock. But then I haven't heard much of it, so I could be getting the wrong impression.

P.S. I freaking missed being there like you couldn't believe!! Without a doubt we'll be there next year.

Quoted for truth!

The above 3 would be my recommendations to start with. No Exit is the heaviest of the 3. Also, I found that it took a few listens to get into Paralells, but it's a brilliant CD.

FW also did a "best of" called "Chasing Time" -- although I'm not sure if it's still in print. If it is, that might be the very best place to start.

Since I'm not a FW fan, I'll take your suggestions and start listening to those ones first. I know I have a whole year to start getting ready for these bands, but I'd want to start as soon as possible... (time to clear the iPod and put on some fresh music)

I myself couldn't be happier about this announcement! For years I have suffered from the "Fates Curse" of never being able to see them, no matter how many times I made the attempt to see them play! I plan on going through any sort of purification ritual prior to Progpower to make sure that I am rid of the curse (ha ha)!

I've already starting saving for next year's event!

Since I'm not a FW fan, I'll take your suggestions and start listening to those ones first.

You are in for a treat!!! By the way, I recommend giving FW a really good first listen through killer headphones, rather than just throwing the CDs in your car CD player.

I myself couldn't be happier about this announcement! For years I have suffered from the "Fates Curse" of never being able to see them, no matter how many times I made the attempt to see them play! I plan on going through any sort of purification ritual prior to Progpower to make sure that I am rid of the curse (ha ha)!

Hey Babs! I'm sending happy thoughts your way from Phoenix. And I'll grab you a crystal or two if I make it up to Sedona before PPX. :)

Maybe this year I'll break my own Symphony X curse, so I won't be embarrassed to be the only attendee at *next* year's lunch who has never seen the band live. :lol:

Wow, saying FW doesn't deserve the headline spot but DT does, would be like saying Edguy deserves to be there, but not Helloween.

Sure, you might like DT better than FW, and that is fine, but how can a DT fan NOT acknowledge FW?

Fates Warning will be awesome, however it comes.

What a pair of headliners for next year, though, seriously!! To those who don't think the choices are headliner caliber, do a little homework.

I actually remember a guy saying "Who the fuck are Andre Matos and Fates Warning?".

Unfuckingbelievable.

I actually remember a guy saying "Who the fuck are Andre Matos and Fates Warning?".

Unfuckingbelievable.

Ouch. I may not regularly listen to either (aside from Sha(a)man's first album) but I do recognize that they're pretty big names in their genres. But then, a lot of people absolutely hate anything to do with "European" power metal and/or prog.