FATES WARNING - Darkness in a Different Light

The Fiddler

Just Do It.
Nov 27, 2002
Heaven and Hell
YES!!!!!! :hotjump::hotjump::hotjump:

U.S. Progressive Metal pioneers FATES WARNING have finally returned with their first studio album release in about a decade! Entitled “Darkness In A Different Light”, the album will be released on September 30th, 2013 in Europe and October 1st, 2013 in North America via InsideOutMusic.

“Darkness In A Different Light” is FATES WARNING’s first album of new material since the release of “FWX” in 2004 and also marks the first release for the band’s stellar current line-up of Ray Alder (vocals), Jim Matheos and Frank Aresti (guitars), Joey Vera (bass) and Bobby Jarzombek (drums).

The album was produced by Matheos and mixed by long time FATES WARNING engineer Phil Magnotti, while mastering was handled by Maor Appelbaum at Maor Appelbaum Mastering, California.

FATES WARNING vocalist Ray Alder checked in with a comment as follows:

"Darkness in a Different Light" is the result of almost two years of very hard work from everyone in the band. I believe that this line-up is the best that Fates has ever had, and I also think that it comes through in the music on this album. It's been almost nine years since our last studio album and I couldn't be more proud of what we've accomplished here.

We are looking very much forward to playing some new songs for our fans who have stuck by us over all these years. We plan on touring as much as possible for "Darkness in a Different Light" and hopefully we'll hit a few places we've never been...

Indeed, FATES WARNING already have headlining touring runs confirmed for October in Europe and November/December in North America, with furthe live activity to follow in 2014.

More details about “Darkness In A Different Light” will follow in the coming weeks…

FATES WARNING Line-Up:
Ray Alder – Vocals
Jim Matheos – Guitars
Joey Vera – Bass
Bobby Jarzombek – Drums
Frank Aresti – Guitars

FATES WARNING Online:
www.fateswarning.com
www.facebook.com/FatesWarning

c_diadl.jpg

I'm torn on this, but mostly positive. I absolutely love FW, but the last one really, really crushed me. They totally lost me on that. I'm hoping they continue the musical direction of Arch/Matheos just with vocal melodies by Ray. I am looking forward to this with caution. I got my Alder fix with the Redemption albums, so this is just a bonus if good. I look forward to seeing of they release a teaser or full song this month prior to release. Please be good...

Hell, hard to believe it has been almost 9 years since the last release...really?.....anyways, loved the last one.

I'm torn on this, but mostly positive. I absolutely love FW, but the last one really, really crushed me. They totally lost me on that. I'm hoping they continue the musical direction of Arch/Matheos just with vocal melodies by Ray. I am looking forward to this with caution. I got my Alder fix with the Redemption albums, so this is just a bonus if good. I look forward to seeing of they release a teaser or full song this month prior to release. Please be good...

I'm in the same camp. I didn't like the last two, but loved Arch/Matheos. We'll see.

Blind buy for me. I am an admitted Ray era fates fanboy, however, the arch/matheos disc will be hard to top in my opinion.

It seems that Fates Warning albums are just as polarizing as Dream Theater albums. I personally love everything about Fates. I've been dying to hear this new album, and yet I'm still in disbelief that its release date is actually near.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

It seems that Fates Warning albums are just as polarizing as Dream Theater albums. I personally love everything about Fates. I've been dying to hear this new album, and yet I'm still in disbelief that its release date is actually near.

Albert

same here. big fan since i first heard No Exit back in the day. have enjoyed the band's progression and loved FWX.

i would expect a modern Fates sound that is similar to OSI with Ray on vocals.

i enjoyed Arch/Matheos but hoping for something a little different than that.

I personally love everything about Fates. I've been dying to hear this new album, and yet I'm still in disbelief that its release date is actually near.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

This. I hope musically that it will be in the style of the Arch / Matheos album.

I am super excited for this. I guess I am in the minority, but I really loved FWX. It was not nearly my favorite FW album, but it has some amazing songs on it. I loved the music on the Arch/Matheos album, but I just cant get past the vocals. I do not think there is a vocalist/band I have given more chances to grow on me than Arch, be it with A/M or early Fates.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'm with you. I pretty much like all the stuff they've done, even the last one. Sure some are not as good as others, but I'm definitely looking forward to this. I think anyone expecting this to sound like Arch/Matheos though is crazy.

I'm with you. I pretty much like all the stuff they've done, even the last one. Sure some are not as good as others, but I'm definitely looking forward to this. I think anyone expecting this to sound like Arch/Matheos though is crazy.

I don't think it is crazy at all considering the Arch album was originally meant to be a Fates album. Of course it wont sound the same in terms of vocal melodies as no one writes or sings melodies like John does. I don't expect it to sound like the Arch album cause I don't think Jim would lay out two albums back to back with a spot on feel. But, I hope he does not go OSI on me. Although, I could totally go for round 2 of APSOG but something tells me that's not happening.

I don't think it is crazy at all considering the Arch album was originally meant to be a Fates album. Of course it wont sound the same in terms of vocal melodies as no one writes or sings melodies like John does. I don't expect it to sound like the Arch album cause I don't think Jim would lay out two albums back to back with a spot on feel. But, I hope he does not go OSI on me. Although, I could totally go for round 2 of APSOG but something tells me that's not happening.

Yeah that's basically what I meant. Vocal melodies and intensity I don't think will be the same, but it could have more depth.

I have never heard a bad Fates Warning disc. Their stylistic alterations through the years have thrown me off a time or two but I've never been disappointed.
The last disc was admittedly as far away from Perfect Symmetry or Parallels as one can get, but still kicked ass IMHO. Times change, and Fates change with it.
Ray is not the same singer as before. Rumor has it that he was trying to quit smoking and hoped to regain some of his younger vocal qualities; we'll see. He still sounds pretty damn good for the most part.
I am eager to hear this disc. Its a blind buy for me.
Without Fates Warning there is no future.

Reviews already? They haven't even released a youtube sampler. Its a great review and well written, though it would be nice to have something out there to bring it into context. If reviewers already have this in hand, the inevitible leaking will follow sjortly.

I have the promo copy for review as well. It's easily the best thing they have done in 20 years. I have only had time to make it through once, but Darkness in a Different Light is a strong contender for my best album of 2013.