New Fates Warning album

Got this Friday. After two listens, not sure how I feel about it yet. It's kind of "sterile" is the best way I can put it. There are 3 or 4 great tracks (1, 7 and 10 are my favs so far), but the rest of the stuff seems to set the same mood as their albums have since APSOG. Same lyrical topics throughout (darkness, light, shadows, etc) :cry: and not a ton of catchy or really memorable vocal lines. Music is as expected and Jarzombek alone is worth the price of admission. Any thoughts?

I have to agree with you. A few good songs but nothing particularly catchy or memorable -- not unlike FWX or Disconnected. I'm a bit underwhelmed after a couple spins of the disk.

Big week for prog metal with new Fates Warning & Dream Theater cd's dropping. Just started listening to the DT disk, so haven't formulated an opinion on that one yet.

I definitely have warmed up to this cd in recent weeks. Very solid effort that fits nicely in their discography, just took about a week or so to sink in. I like it a lot better than FWX, which I didn't care for that much.

I've had time to familarize myself with the new material and its classic post-Perfect Symmetry stuff. One of the best of the year possibly.

And Ray writing most of the lyrics is a nice change but Jim can hold his own.

Very few new songs in the setlist. And Yet It Moves would be a great encore for Still Remains. You heard Still Remains for so long, but I guess they want to keep the classics to make up for the lack of touring North America.

The Kevin Moore written, O Choloform does really sound like an OSI cover song but its even more amazing when Ray sings Kevin's lyrics. I wonder if OSI is even alive now since Moore has gone off to medical school. I doubt it. More solo ambient stuff from Jim then or he could hookup with another singer like Steve Wilson?