Fates Warning new album...

wdiv

Rattlehead
May 28, 2004
US
Sounds like they're finally working on the new album and planning a tour.

Switching gears slightly, is the plan for Fates Warning’s new album to still come out this year? What’s the status on that?

Well, we’re working on it now. When it comes out is going to be up to the record company. Obviously they want to have it out as soon as possible. Usually, nowadays, there’s about a four month turnaround between when you deliver the record and when they put it out. But nobody likes to release anything in December. So if we want to get it out late this year, it means we have to deliver it sometime around July and I’m not at all sure we’re going to be able to do that. I know we’ll be recording this Summer. We’ll have it done this Summer or Fall, so either late this year/ early next year. It’s just out of our hands when it will be released. I’m just focusing on writing it and getting it recorded right now.

Has anything been recorded?

No. I mean, I record all my demos here at home, but we won’t actually do the tracking till everything’s done and everyone is ready to go. And then we’ll go into the studio for a month after that.

Back in 2010, Fates Warning played a handful of shows with the Parallels line up in 2010, and last you year worked on the Arch/Matheos album [with former Fates Warning singer John Arch]. Did working with older members or performing older material influence the writing of the new album in any way?

I don’t think so. It’s still really early going in this Fates record, I’m only a couple songs into it. So it’s kind of hard to say what final shape it’s going to take. It’s not drastically different then what I’ve done in the past. It’s not drastically different then what I’ve just done with Arch/Matheos, at least musically. I mean, obviously it will be very different with Ray singing on it, but it’s really early. I can’t say until the whole thing is done. Often when I get 4 or 5, even 3, songs into a record, those songs will determine which direction the rest of the record goes in. So the first couple is always just casting a wide net and seeing what comes up, and that’s the stage I’m in right now.

Fair enough. I know this Spring Fates Warning is doing some touring in Europe and South America. Besides recording, what other plans do Fates Warning have in the works?

Well yeah, we’re doing some dates. We have a lot of dates coming up in March and April. Then I’ll get back to working on this record, hopefully get that done this Summer and then we hope to be able to tour all over next year. The States, Europe, wherever people want us, we’ll be there.

http://www.metalinsider.net/intervi...i-provides-update-on-fates-warnings-new-album

Damn, at least a couple more years I'm thinking at least.

Kinda sucks. I wonder where they'll play the DC/Virginia/MD area now that one of the local clubs (okay, its Jaxx in Springfield) here got bought out and had them booked for a gig in 2009 before Prog Power but it was postponed for unknown reasons.

Damn, at least a couple more years I'm thinking at least.

Kinda sucks. I wonder where they'll play the DC/Virginia/MD area now that one of the local clubs (okay, its Jaxx in Springfield) here got bought out and had them booked for a gig in 2009 before Prog Power but it was postponed for unknown reasons.

I live in the same general region! There are still plenty of club options. "Empire" (i.e. Jaxx) is still booking metal shows. Getting to Jaxx has always been extremely inconvenient for me, so I'm glad that some of the metal shows are starting to go other area venues... 9:30 Club, Fillmore, Rams Head Live, Soundstage, etc. Not sure how big a crowd Fates Warning would draw these days.

That 2009 show was on Jaxx's calendar but was never on the band's webpage, and tickets were never offered, so it seems that it was never really "firm" show.