JOHN ARCH And JIM MATHEOS Join Forces In New Project - Jan. 19, 2011

Well, I do like Redemption, but FW, no sorry, can't get into them any more. the last album was a disaster, mostly becouse of the drumcomputer-like rythm section., the earlier had bad vocals compared to the old stuff...Think I gave it away to a lucky guy over her? Don't remember who though ...

Alder will never match the sheer brilliance he displayed on Parallels. That whole record is a vocal clinic.

He sounds okay in Redemption, but he can't pull off the high notes the way he once could. Ah well, age'll do that.

Absolutely.
I **HATED** his voice on his first few FW records. But his new style with Redemption has him sounding fantastic! It's a night & day difference. He's since propelled from one of my least fav to most fav vocalists. Highly rare, that.

Once Ray stopped trying to sing like John Arch, he became a great vocalist. I've never been a fan of No Exit... my least favorite Fates Warning album.

I just listed to FWX last week. Good album that got more grief than it deserved.

I agree with basically all the Alder comments here (good and bad), but for my money he never got close to John Arch. I know they were essentially a different band back then (a little less proggy) but good God that man could/can sing. He is one of the greats.

I don't care for post-Arch Fates Warning, but this seems to be a very interesting project. Looking very much forward to hear this !!!!!

This. I could care less about anything after Guardian (and honestly, most of the stuff before it), but that album is close to perfection. I'll definitely be looking into this.

First single released on the website; Arch's voice still sounds very solid !!

http://www.archmatheos.com/

Sounds great. Most anticipated release of the year for me. I'm so glad that John is singing for public consumption again. I've a huge nostalgic connection to his voice, but he's also just plain fantastic. His range is amazing, and I think he displays a little more emotion than a lot of those who are considered to be metal's great singers.

First single released on the website; Arch's voice still sounds very solid !!

http://www.archmatheos.com/

Thanks a lot carnut!!

Here is the song:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dilFoEP-mw&hd=1[/ame]

Sounds great. Most anticipated release of the year for me. I'm so glad that John is singing for public consumption again. I've a huge nostalgic connection to his voice, but he's also just plain fantastic. His range is amazing, and I think he displays a little more emotion than a lot of those who are considered to be metal's great singers.

+1 I agree with your every word.

I heard the single and it actually sounds pretty good. The sound is very heavy/modern-era Fates like X with some of OSI's Blood mix. John's voice doesn't really seem to distinguish itself from the music and just kind of gets lost. He seems to work better on slower tracks like Cheyenne from the Twist of Fate EP, which I'm sure there are many epic songs with quiet moments on the record.

The vocals are still excellent, but the song took me by surprise. This is very heavy-prog in the sense of the last two Symphony X albums, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping for something more melodic. Even the guitar solo has a real "shred" feel to it; maybe it's Aresti's but as a whole I'm not hearing the Matheos half. I could definitely dig a full album of modern heavy-prog with Arch singing, but I hope this being a single is just meant to be the accessible ear-catcher.

supposedly this is a heavily edited version of the song. the full song, as the article says on blabbermouth.net, is, like, 14-min in length. so there could be more to it. still an awesome track though, another september release to look forward to (along with Opeth and DT)

This sounds awesome. I'm stoked that it's got some energy to it (unlike the John Arch solo EP).

I see the website has a "tour dates" tab. No dates listed, but hopefully that's an indicator that they will tour

All of this, +1. Easily my most anticipated 2011 release! CANT WAIT to own it.

He's on par with the 'metal elite'.....on par with Gillan, Dio, Halford, Dickinson, etc.

I heard the single and it actually sounds pretty good. The sound is very heavy/modern-era Fates like X with some of OSI's Blood mix. John's voice doesn't really seem to distinguish itself from the music and just kind of gets lost. He seems to work better on slower tracks like Cheyenne from the Twist of Fate EP, which I'm sure there are many epic songs with quiet moments on the record.

EP or otherwise, Twist of Fate was one of the better metal releases of the last how-ever-many years. I've pitched that record to a lot of friends as essential. I still throw it on sometimes. I think it stands neck and neck with the old Fates stuff, and it's a big part of the reason I expect this new one to be great.

EP or otherwise, Twist of Fate was one of the better metal releases of the last how-ever-many years. I've pitched that record to a lot of friends as essential. I still throw it on sometimes. I think it stands neck and neck with the old Fates stuff, and it's a big part of the reason I expect this new one to be great.

I dunno... I've tried, but never been able to really get into Twist of Fate.