JOHN ARCH And JIM MATHEOS Join Forces In New Project - Jan. 19, 2011

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
Gather round O ye John Arch faithful!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152526

FATES WARNING/OSI guitarist Jim Matheos and former FATES WARNING singer John Arch are currently working together on a new full-length album that will be released in late spring/early summer via Metal Blade Records. The band, called ARCH/MATHEOS, began tracking the drums on January 12 and will continue to record through mid-February with both John Arch and Jim Matheos producing the album. ARCH/MATHEOS features an all-star lineup including the talents of Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, ANTHRAX, FATES WARNING, SEVEN WITCHES) on bass, Bobby Jarzombek (HALFORD, FATES WARNING, SEBASTIAN BACH, RIOT) on drums, and Frank Aresti (FATES WARNING) on additional lead guitar.

Read more on Blabbermouth.

O am very happy now!!

3/5 of the Awaken the Guardian lineup.....I still play this album, 25 years and counting! The ep he put out a few years ago, with Portnoy and Matheos was pretty good.

I don't care for post-Arch Fates Warning, but this seems to be a very interesting project. Looking very much forward to hear this !!!!!

So we'll have 2 "Fates Warning" albums this year?

:) :) :)

FW was supposed to have an album out in 2009. Then it slipped to 2010... didn't happen. I'm at the "believe it when I see it" stage for new FW album.

Redemption is supposed to have a new album out this year too.

I interviewed Joey Vera last year and he said they were due to start recording it in summer 2010 if I remember correctly. He said it'll happen sooner or later.

Uh-oh! That's the same thing they were saying about new Armored Saint album for years & years before it finally materialized.

These are great news guys. John singing back again, I thought it will never happen. The 2006 EP was great, the only bad thing about it was that it was too short. And now we will have a proper album, and with a very FW line up!

I read a few months ago in an interview to jim Matheos that, indeed, a new Fates Warning CD was planned to be finished in 2011.

So, we might have 3 Jim Matheos CDs? (FW, OSI and Arch-Matheos project)

I don't care for post-Arch Fates Warning, but this seems to be a very interesting project. Looking very much forward to hear this !!!!!

You might want to check out the "new" FW album out as well. You will barely recognize Ray Alder and his voice now. His voice has changed over the past several years. He can't hit all of those high notes, so he has changed the way he sings. He sings in a lower register now, but because he lacks the range..... he has learned to do much more with his voice than he has in the past. I really think people that don't like Ray's earlier stuff should check out the Redemption stuff now. His voice is much different, especially than the early Ray era FW like No Exit.

Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
This is GREAT news. A friend and I were listening to Awaken the Guardian just the other day, it was a favorit of ours back at its time of release. We talked a lot about how Jon is really one of a kind.
His EP was basically a top 10 release for me in the post 2000 metal world. SUCH a good record. Short, but then again, long songs. Plus, the man still sounds amazing. Again, great news.

You might want to check out the "new" FW album out as well. You will barely recognize Ray Alder and his voice now. His voice has changed over the past several years. He can't hit all of those high notes, so he has changed the way he sings. He sings in a lower register now, but because he lacks the range..... he has learned to do much more with his voice than he has in the past. I really think people that don't like Ray's earlier stuff should check out the Redemption stuff now. His voice is much different, especially than the early Ray era FW like No Exit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3l_TpK6V0

Bryant

Absolutely.
I **HATED** his voice on his first few FW records. But his new style with Redemption has him sounding fantastic! It's a night & day difference. He's since propelled from one of my least fav to most fav vocalists. Highly rare, that.