New Fates Warning album

wdiv

Rattlehead
May 28, 2004
US
New album's been rumored for years... looks like it's finally coming to fruition! Hopefully we get something a little more dynamic than FWX.

FATES WARNING – Reveal new album title, artwork and release date; Announce tourdates!

U.S. Progressive Metal pioneers FATES WARNING have finally returned with their first studio album release in about a decade! Entitled “Darkness In A Different Light”, the album will be released on September 30th, 2013 in Europe and October 1st, 2013 in North America via InsideOutMusic.

“Darkness In A Different Light” is FATES WARNING’s first album of new material since the release of “FWX” in 2004 and also marks the first release for the band’s stellar current line-up of Ray Alder (vocals), Jim Matheos and Frank Aresti (guitars), Joey Vera (bass) and Bobby Jarzombek (drums).

The album was produced by Matheos and mixed by long time FATES WARNING engineer Phil Magnotti, while mastering was handled by Maor Appelbaum at Maor Appelbaum Mastering, California.
The (above pictured) artwork for the album was designed by Conte di San Pietro.

FATES WARNING vocalist Ray Alder checked in with a comment as follows:

"Darkness in a Different Light" is the result of almost two years of very hard work from everyone in the band.
I believe that this line-up is the best that Fates has ever had, and I also think that it comes through in the music on this album. It's been almost nine years since our last studio album and I couldn't be more proud of what we've accomplished here.
We are looking very much forward to playing some new songs for our fans who have stuck by us over all these years. We plan on touring as much as possible for "Darkness in a Different Light" and hopefully we'll hit a few places we've never been...

Indeed, FATES WARNING already have headlining touring runs confirmed for October in Europe and November/December in North America, with further live activity to follow in 2014.
See http://fateswarning.com/ for the complete list of tour dates.

FWX is still a good album even though I consider it their weakest since the debut, and for the lack of dynamism mentioned. Most of Fates Warning's best albums are the ones I consider to be the largest steps in changing their sound, so if it lives up to the title/tagline this should be amazing. If not, I still can't imagine it will be less than good.

Might as well post the album sleeve as well:

c_diadl.jpg

Hoping it's a good one. I've found all FW albums seem to just miss their full potential, although the fact that I get that feeling every time suggests it is actually me looking for them to be something they're not.

What an awful cover!! :guh: "Inside out" or even "No exit" are far better than this.

My opinion is, more or less, similar to HamburgerBoy. "FX X" isn´t bad but their weakest album. "Another perfect day" is brilliant. 2 o 3 songs are quite good but we find some filler too.

After the superb Arch/Matheos album, I guess Jim is going to release something different, more modern. I don´t know. I have doubts in the result but I expect any good material.

Buying my tickets for the DC show now. They're one of my "bucket list" concerts, for sure.

Hope they are better than when I saw them. Love the band but they put on a boring ass live performance.

Hope they are better than when I saw them. Love the band but they put on a boring ass live performance.

I bet the setlist is just regular staples and a handful of new tracks. Firefly was played live last year couple with the new song debuted on the online this week, Into The Black.

For uncommon old songs, I'd like to hear more from Perfect Symmetry like Arena or Static Acts. Seems they avoid this stuff like Matheos avoids anything Arch era which they've done since 98'. I think the last Arch track done live with Alder was Prelude to Ruin.

You should try to find the original album cover artwork for their first album Night On Brocken. I have it in cassette format, before cds took over. It looks like an 11 year old drew it.

Yeah, I guess.....if Michaelangelo was slightly drunk, with a brain tumor....

Got this Friday. After two listens, not sure how I feel about it yet. It's kind of "sterile" is the best way I can put it. There are 3 or 4 great tracks (1, 7 and 10 are my favs so far), but the rest of the stuff seems to set the same mood as their albums have since APSOG. Same lyrical topics throughout (darkness, light, shadows, etc) :cry: and not a ton of catchy or really memorable vocal lines. Music is as expected and Jarzombek alone is worth the price of admission. Any thoughts?