FATES WARNING - Darkness in a Different Light

I'm curious to see what everybody says about the new disc. I have heard most of it and all I'm going to say is that it is not a direction I personally care for, even though it follows in the same vein of some of the songs from the past 2 discs. In reading Rays comments about where they are and what got them to this point, I believe that he is the major reason that they are heading in this direction, with him stating that he didn't care for the direction when they were writing what became Arch/Matheos, which was meant to be the next FW disc.
Not a slam on Fates Warning by any means, because it is Fates Warning...I just hoped for something...different than this

Don't think you are listening to the right album dude, because the Arch/Matheos style is all over this one. The is easily the heaviest and most 'metal' release from Fates sine No Exit.

At Amazon.com, it's not apparently in stock either..."Usually ships in 7-9 days."

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Different-Light-Fates-Warning/dp/B00EC6W0AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380629335&sr=8-1&keywords=fates+warning+darkness+in+a+different+light[/ame]

List them in reverse order!

The Ivory Gate of Dreams
Eleventh Hour
Chasing Time
Monument
Silent Cries
Fata Morgana
Guardian
Through Different Eyes
A Handful of Doubt
Still Remains
APSOG
Pieces of Me
The Road Goes on Forever
Leave The Past Behind
Part of The Machine
Eye To Eye
Chasing Time
Kyrie Elieson
Damnation
Anarchy Devine
Exodus
Something From Nothing
Left Here
Giants Lore
Outside Looking In
Afterglow
The Strand
Life in Still WaterInto The Black

Point of View
At Fates Hands
The Arena
So
The Sorceress
Heavenly Shades of Death
Valley of the Dolls
Lighthouse
Pirates of the Underground
Epitaph
Orphan Gypsy
Static Acts
Face The Fear
Disconnected pt2
River Wide Ocean Deep
Stranger
Crawl
Afterglow
Island In The Stream
We Only Say Goodbye
The Arena
In A Word
Prelude to Ruin
The Apparition
Traveller in Time
Misfit
Soldier Boy
Into The Black
Kiss of Death
S.E.K.
Firefly
Simple Human
Circles

Want more? There might be one or two more in the discography that are better than "One". I'd have to go back and listen again, but I'm pretty sure there are a few I missed that are better than "One":lol:

I've never been a huge fan of this band, which I'm sure is a sort of blasphemy around these parts. Weirdly, I LOVE OSI (well - I suppose that's more due to being a massive fan of industrial/electronic music) and Redemption - so I figured I may as well queue this up on Spotify like I do with every week's new releases. Got it on right now and really digging. I'm under the impression though that their older stuff sounds nothing like this right?

I'm under the impression though that their older stuff sounds nothing like this right?

The vocals on the new album remind me a LOT of "Parallels" and "Inside Out", but overall those albums are not so heavy. On the new album, the approach of the rest of the band sounds a lot like the Arch/Matheos album(or even a bit like Redemption), if a bit less frantic -- it sounds like they kept the same guitar sound and studio approach from the 2011 A/M album. The only other FW album that approaches this level of heaviness might be "No Exit", but there Ray is doing a very *very* different style of vocals, back before he lost the top half-octave in his vocal range, before he developed his more mature voice.

ARGH!!!!!
The band posted on FB how this will be available at Best Buy.
Mine did not have it.

It's so hard to really say what the FW "sound" is as I think every album is so unique in its own way.

Really looking forward to getting this.

What a powerhouse group of individuals who make up this band now are....

I like it. On first listen, it reminds me most of Disconnected, which I also like. It's not amazing, but FW has such a well-developed musical character that they hit a spot that no other band hits for me.

It's so hard to really say what the FW "sound" is as I think every album is so unique in its own way.

Agreed totally. I think Fates haven't really sounded the same across more than two albums at any point in their career. What DOES sound vintage here is the Matheos sound. His guitar work carries a unique sound to it across all his projects, and that is no less true here. From the opening track on, this has his fingerprints all over it, and that is all I ask for in my Fates music.

I may have a unique( or crap) perspective on this band as I consider APSOG their finest work with Parallels very close behind. After one spin with this while on my lunch break today I can honestly say this is not the FW album I expected. I'm not even sure how to describe what I had in mind, but this is very, very good. I love the difference in drumming. Zonder is as good as anyone in the industry, but a change was for the better. Jarzombek really has an aggressive nature Mark did not. While Ray's range is gone, his timbre and tonality remain tops in the game. He really does sound clear here, very strong vocals. It's going to take me a while to adjust to some of this ( shit it's been almost a decade) but I can safely say this album is a monster even if it's not what I thought it would be. It could turn out a whole lot better.

I may have a unique( or crap) perspective on this band as I consider APSOG their finest work with Parallels very close behind. After one spin with this while on my lunch break today I can honestly say this is not the FW album I expected. I'm not even sure how to describe what I had in mind, but this is very, very good. I love the difference in drumming. Zonder is as good as anyone in the industry, but a change was for the better. Jarzombek really has an aggressive nature Mark did not. While Ray's range is gone, his timbre and tonality remain tops in the game. He really does sound clear here, very strong vocals. It's going to take me a while to adjust to some of this ( shit it's been almost a decade) but I can safely say this album is a monster even if it's not what I thought it would be. It could turn out a whole lot better.

Disagree about Jarzombek. Zonder was an integral part of the Fates Warning sound. Bobby overplays the shit out of everything here to the point of distraction. The disc has none of the dynamics that past discs did, and the heaviness just falls flat. I rate this as their worst disc and they may fall off of the "must buy" list in the future.

^ +1. I spun this disc for the second time today and couldn't help but think this was missing Zonder. He's one of my favorite drummers. But, I still am digging the album.