FATES WARNING - Darkness in a Different Light

I have never heard a bad Fates Warning disc. Their stylistic alterations through the years have thrown me off a time or two but I've never been disappointed.
The last disc was admittedly as far away from Perfect Symmetry or Parallels as one can get, but still kicked ass IMHO. Times change, and Fates change with it.
Ray is not the same singer as before. Rumor has it that he was trying to quit smoking and hoped to regain some of his younger vocal qualities; we'll see. He still sounds pretty damn good for the most part.
I am eager to hear this disc. Its a blind buy for me.
Without Fates Warning there is no future.

+1 :headbang:

I have the promo copy for review as well. It's easily the best thing they have done in 20 years. I have only had time to make it through once, but Darkness in a Different Light is a strong contender for my best album of 2013.

yeah, because the last interesting record they put out was Inside Out.

Also, I was out to dinner with a buddy who has it for review as well and my one question was "is it progjent"?

Matheos started all that stuff way back with those plodding chunk with no melodies (I know Meshuggah did it first, BUT Matheos did it for melodic progressive bands first back in 97). it's why I cannot listen to FWX and Disconnected and John Arch is only thing that saved Arch Matheos album. His vocal melodies.

I will check this new one out, but I don't have my hopes up either. But it's okay I have 6 amazing FW albums to continue enjoying for another 20 years. :kickass:

From Fates Warning Facebook:

Fates Warning will be streaming one track off of the upcoming album, Darkness In A Different Light, on Tuesday (8/20)

I'm in the same camp. I didn't like the last two, but loved Arch/Matheos. We'll see.

I totally respect your opinion, but when is the last time you listened to FWX and Disconnected? I think they're worth another listen. ;) Personally, I think they are both awesome. I can understand why Arch worshipers may not like the last two FW discs, but for me the last two discs represent everything FW stands for since Ray joined the band.

I totally respect your opinion, but when is the last time you listened to FWX and Disconnected? I think they're worth another listen. ;) Personally, I think they are both awesome. I can understand why Arch worshipers may not like the last two FW discs, but for me the last two discs represent everything FW stands for since Ray joined the band.

I'm obviously in a camp all to myself as I did not like the last two Fates albums and do not like Arch/Matheos. Disconnected threw me with it's stripped-down sound and minimalist approach. I liked two tunes off it. FWX completely lost me, I had no idea what the band was trying to accomplish with the modern touches. I know Ray was just coming off his second Engine album, so maybe there was a little bit of residual from that style imported into FWX. And, I thought the production was a little muddy for a Fates album. I can't listen to John arch for more than 30-45 seconds before pondering the benefits of deafness, so that was a miss for me.

This new tune really shows promise that I haven't felt since APSOG. Really excited for this now that I've sampled. All I needed was one tune to disuade my hesitation. This is a release day purchase if I've ever had one. It used to be Fates disc release days were an event for me, kinda hoping this is one again.

Another new song. This one's leans a little more towards Disconnected with some of Ray's "Engine" project sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm scared. I'm from the viewpoint that Fates Warning has not put a bad disc out, only stylistic shifts.
This new song "I Am", I don't like it.It falls in the "Simple Human", "One" category & I feel that those are the 2 worst Fates songs.
I hope there's a "Pieces of Me" or a "Still Remains" on here somewhere. To build up word of mouth with these three new songs just doesn't make sense to me.It's like saying "The past is dead and gone. This is what we are now. Take it or leave it"
I'm afraid that the old fans will lean more towards the "leave it" side.

I hope I'm wrong

I'm scared. I'm from the viewpoint that Fates Warning has not put a bad disc out, only stylistic shifts.
This new song "I Am", I don't like it.It falls in the "Simple Human", "One" category & I feel that those are the 2 worst Fates songs.
I hope there's a "Pieces of Me" or a "Still Remains" on here somewhere. To build up word of mouth with these three new songs just doesn't make sense to me.It's like saying "The past is dead and gone. This is what we are now. Take it or leave it"
I'm afraid that the old fans will lean more towards the "leave it" side.

I hope I'm wrong

Man, I could not disagree more. This new tack is great, as are the other 2 tracks released. That's 3 from 3, there is not doubt that this album will kick major arse. And One is awesome, definitely not one of the worst FW songs

I'm, "so-so" with "I Am" but the other two tracks were winners with me after one listen.

I was initially disappointed with a number of the tracks from Disconnected and FWX as they had too much of that "Engine" vibe from Ray's solo project, IMO. Not that those songs were at all bad, but I was just not expecting that vibe to then show up on the new Fates stuff (after all, it's not like FW puts out a disc every 2-3 years). However, after several years of not listening to the discs, I must say I quite enjoy those tracks now. Certainly not uncommon for that to happen to me with other bands too, which is why I rarely dump a disc (sell it) without keeping it for a few years as long as the majority of the tunes hit-the-spot right after the disc's purchase.

I'm curious to see what everybody says about the new disc. I have heard most of it and all I'm going to say is that it is not a direction I personally care for, even though it follows in the same vein of some of the songs from the past 2 discs. In reading Rays comments about where they are and what got them to this point, I believe that he is the major reason that they are heading in this direction, with him stating that he didn't care for the direction when they were writing what became Arch/Matheos, which was meant to be the next FW disc.
Not a slam on Fates Warning by any means, because it is Fates Warning...I just hoped for something...different than this