Fates Warning theory for 2009

TwizstedJesus

Mar 1, 2004
Did anybody notice that Glen is using the old logo for Fates Warning on his page? That means only one thing...John Arch is appearing onstage with Fates Warning,along side Ray Alder for a one off show playing from every era of Fates Warning!

Has anybody weighed this idea that there might be some old members there like Joe or Aresti/Arduini/Zonder/Zimmerman? Man I sure hope I'm sniffing around the right hole.

Did anybody notice that Glen is using the old logo for Fates Warning on his page? That means only one thing...John Arch is appearing onstage with Fates Warning,along side Ray Alder for a one off show playing from every era of Fates Warning!

Has anybody weighed this idea that there might be some old members there like Joe or Aresti/Arduini/Zonder/Zimmerman? Man I sure hope I'm sniffing around the right hole.

Be careful not to get your hopes up. From what I can tell, Fates Warning is a difficult band to lineup period! With that said, I'm just amazed that Glenn was able to ink them playing the festival. :kickass:

~Brian~

It had crossed my mind.

I prefer the Alder era of Fates vs. Arch, but I am respectful to the fact that this band has had a long history and that fans have always been divided up into two different camps on whose vocals they like and I'm just thrilled that I am having the opportunity to see this band play. So I will enjoy all that they give to us!

Keeping my fingers crossed that my Fates curse is finally behind me!

Arch would be cool but I would not bank on it. I would put money on Aresti being there though. I would also not bank on Zonder.

I'm not getting my hopes up...BUT....We have to take into consideration that it is ProgPower 10,this is a special anniversary show,and Glen has pulled many rabbits out of his hat in the past. I think something big is coming,be it Fates Warning or some other amazing feat,but that use of the old Fates Warning logo has me thinking something big for the closing band....

The last time I saw Fates back with Queensryche & Dream Theater , Frank Aresti was on guitar. I would bet that he will be there.

Bear

Amusing how a progressive metal crowd, wants the band to play from their Iron Maiden-esque era, and not their prog-metal era, which was a couple albums after Ray joined.

I love the Arch era, don't get me wrong, but I'd be very happy just getting their more prog metal stuff.

I'm still wondering who will end up being behind the kit. I'm guessing Bobby.

I'm guessing that you'll disagree with me, but I'd prefer to see an appearance by Mark Zonder over John Arch. I realize I didn't grow up with the band like you did though.

~Brian~

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. Although I grew up with FW from the first album, I am a huge Alder fan. I would like to see Arch but would take Alder + Zonder over Arch + "insert replacement drummer name here" any day.

Fates Warning: 2 completely different bands...John Arch era (Night on Brocken, The Spectre Within, and the timeless classic Awaken the Guardian) vs. the Ray Alder era (No Exit, Perfect Sym., Parallels). Is it possible to love the 2 equally? Well, I do. I was introduced to the band with The Spectre Within so obviously I have a special connection to the Arch-era Fates...but if you approach them as Fates Vol. 1 and Fates Vol. 2, for all intents and purposes I love them the same. :kickass:

I remember abusing my Awaken the Guardian tape via my Sony Walkman big time during my time at the University of Iowa. A self-made Maxell tape on Side A (by the way...the flipside was Canada's very own Sword-Metalized...who remembers them...Dare to Spit on my grave...)...I still get goosebumps everytime I hear Guardian...especially this passage.

Karen's been asleep forever I know she hears me
She has so much to say, the machine sparks
Her eggshell mind a tear streams from her face
Into my hand, to my heart

All I know...whoever is on stage representing Fates at ProgPower...I will be loving every second!!!

I'd love to see Zonder, but rumor has it that they don't get along at all. Not sure if that's true but I think I heard that somewhere....

Canada's very own Sword-Metalized...who remembers them...Dare to Spit on my grave...

I don't necessarily "remember" them, as I didn't know about them until years after they broke up, but that's one of the truly great little-known classic metal albums. It's a bit on the short side (by today's standards), but every one of the 10 tracks slays. "Dare To Spit", "F.T.W.", "Children Of Heaven", "End Of The Night"... great stuff. I never did manage to track down their other disc, but I've heard it wasn't as good anyway. I'll still find a copy eventually when I get around to it, heh.

I'm just as curious as anybody else about who's going to play with Fates Warning at ProgPower. I would probably shit myself to see John Arch, even if for just one song, but I'm not counting on it. I would expect Frank Aresti to be there, seeing as how he's been in the touring lineup for the past five years now. Mark Zonder would be awesome to see, but I have seen them with him before. I think if they had Bobby Jarzombeck, the drum parts will be handled just fine. As long as Nick D'Virgilio isn't behind the kit, I'm happy.

There is one guy who nobody has mentioned thus far: Joe DiBiase. I'd love to see them perform with him, as he left the band before I ever saw them live. Though I'm a big Joey Vera fan, I would really like to see the guy who originated all of those bass parts from the first seven albums. DiBiase is truly one of the most underrated bassists in metal. If he were to perform at ProgPower, though, somebody would have to warn him about Dustin Mitchell. There might be some mad stalking going on if he were to discover that his number one influence was attending the festival!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

There is one guy who nobody has mentioned thus far: Joe DiBiase. I'd love to see them perform with him, as he left the band before I ever saw them live. Though I'm a big Joey Vera fan, I would really like to see the guy who originated all of those bass parts from the first seven albums. DiBiase is truly one of the most underrated bassists in metal. If he were to perform at ProgPower, though, somebody would have to warn him about Dustin Mitchell. There might be some mad stalking going on if he were to discover that his number one influence was attending the festival!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Didn't they call DiBiase "Bones" or did I just make that up? It would be cool to see him but I am thinking it will be Vera. You are correct in my opinion thought about DiBiase being underrated. The guy was great.

I'm just as curious as anybody else about who's going to play with Fates Warning at ProgPower. I would probably shit myself to see John Arch, even if for just one song, but I'm not counting on it. I would expect Frank Aresti to be there, seeing as how he's been in the touring lineup for the past five years now. Mark Zonder would be awesome to see, but I have seen them with him before. I think if they had Bobby Jarzombeck, the drum parts will be handled just fine. As long as Nick D'Virgilio isn't behind the kit, I'm happy.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

That would be freaking awesome Al! I love DiBiase's work. He was one of my bass idols as I started learning. I'm not going to hold my breath though, the last thing I remember seeing had sad that he hadn't picked up a bass in years...