question for Rush fans regarding "Caress of Steele"

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
This, along with the 1st two, are the only Rush CDs I don't own.
But I have the Chronicles collection and two of this records 5 tunes are on it.

My question is this:
Are the two epics (Necromancer and Lament) as bad as the reviews say? Or are these great Rush epics in the manner of 2112, Cygnus, etc?

It's been a while since I've listened to the whole thing. "Necromancer" and "Lament" are all right. Not the first tracks I reach for when I think of Rush, but nothing on that album sucks. The first Rush album (with Rutsey) has some embarrasing moments. Fly by Night is much, much better and Caress better still.

SoundMaster said:
This, along with the 1st two, are the only Rush CDs I don't own.
But I have the Chronicles collection and two of this records 5 tunes are on it.

My question is this:
Are the two epics (Necromancer and Lament) as bad as the reviews say? Or are these great Rush epics in the manner of 2112, Cygnus, etc?

Bad? bad? Reviewers from Rolling Stone surely.:err:

'The Fountain of Lamneth' and ' The Necromancer' are the best songs of "Caress of Steel" (well along with 'Bastille Day'), mini-epics a bit less polished than '2112', 'Cygnus X-1' and 'Hemispheres' but nevertheless they show undoubdtedly the quality and importance of Rush in taking prog rock into the metal side.

Except for the debut whihc I consider non-representative of the band, all 70's album are essential to a fan of the band most of them to metal fans in general.