Question for Steve regarding Death

Satanstoenail

My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle
Sep 6, 2006
Arse End
Do you regard Human as a death metal album or a speed metal album? I've been having an argument with someone in another forum about this. I say it's death metal with some speed/thrash influence. My opponent reckons it's pure speed metal musically, and the only death metal feature on the album is the vocals. What do you think?

Well I care, that's why I'm asking Steve. Not only did he play on the album, but he also played in a seminal speed metal band, and thus, his opinion is extremely valid. I realise it's good music and what 'pidgeonhole' it fits into doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I'm interested to know his thoughts on the matter, that's all. :)

Categories in any music genre (but maybe even more so with metal), overlap. Speed and Thrash metal, I don't really distinguish between the two other than to say Exodus for example on the former and Kreator on the latter, are basically two categories that overlap heavily in metal. Almost to the point of being indistinguishable. The whole advent of the early death metal genre that grew out of the more "extreme" thrash stuff from the late eighties being a further permutation of a style. Point being, new sub-genres constantly grow out of others so whether it is a "speed metal" or "death metal" album is a moot point seeing how death metal owes a lot to all the prior metal genres. One of the biggest reasons why classifications seem of more importance these days is because people have access to so much stuff they need a way differentiate one thing from another to a very fine point because of the total volume of material. Unfortunately for metal music broadly defined, most of these classifications become arbitrary with their overuse.

Excellent post, cheers. I agree with pretty much all of it, but I'm still interested to know what sub-genre Steve considers Human to be.

I believe that the album, Human, having been mostly written in late 1990 and early 1991 was thru and thru death metal. I have the first tape Chuck made for me with only his guitar...no bass, no drums, no vocals and the raw, bare naked riffs are pure death metal. The players that come in and helped finish up the album put their personal touch on it and influenced it. The basic riff ideas are still there, but the overall feel changed with the attitude of each of the other musicians. And it then reached above and beyond the standard of death metal. In the time to follow more bands reached out of the usual sound and pushed the definition of the sub-genre. What did it become? I don't know...hybrid sumpthin. I really don't care for the label of it, I mean you can hear with your own ear what's going on with different bands and their own progressions. That's a good thing. Music evolves with those who embrace change. But the main question was if I thought that Human was speed or death metal. For the time it was conceived and released...definitely death metal.
SDG

I believe that the album, Human, having been mostly written in late 1990 and early 1991 was thru and thru death metal. I have the first tape Chuck made for me with only his guitar...no bass, no drums, no vocals and the raw, bare naked riffs are pure death metal. The players that come in and helped finish up the album put their personal touch on it and influenced it. The basic riff ideas are still there, but the overall feel changed with the attitude of each of the other musicians. And it then reached above and beyond the standard of death metal. In the time to follow more bands reached out of the usual sound and pushed the definition of the sub-genre. What did it become? I don't know...hybrid sumpthin. I really don't care for the label of it, I mean you can hear with your own ear what's going on with different bands and their own progressions. That's a good thing. Music evolves with those who embrace change. But the main question was if I thought that Human was speed or death metal. For the time it was conceived and released...definitely death metal.
SDG

Thanks for the response Steve. It seems there are a lot of revisionist 'intellectuals' out there that like to over-analyse and put their own spin on the intricacies and evolution of metal. As someone who was there buying the music, going to gigs and experiencing it all as it evolved, it annoys me somewhat, because people end up believing them.