Question hopefully not repeated too many times...

YAY or NAY??

• YAY!!

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • NAY!!

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

SerenityNow!

*burp*
Feb 28, 2008
On Top
...but if so, I might as well join the club of unbelievably repeated threads. It's a large one:rolleyes:!

Anyhoo, my question is...

Now that Fred's been touring a little while, what's the consensus on his replacing Peter? That is, does he play ol' Pete's parts note for note, or does Fred add his own notes in there? Now note for note is pretty tough (with exact timing and whatnot), but what do you folks think?

Yay or Nay??

(my first fucking poll!!):zombie:

EDIT: By the way, I think he does an excellent job on Watershed, but I'm talking live here!

The only time I've seen him play, he fucked up the ending to Demon of the Fall, and then Mike was ripping on him for it.

Umm... It's like asking "Do you prefer oranges or apples? Answer yes or no.". Just a tip: You might want to specify which one of the questions refers to the "YAY!!" option and which one refers to "NAY!!".

I don't really understand your question, are you asking whether he plays the old songs exactly like Peter did or if he adds his own style there?

Didn't Fred say that he played Peter's solo's the original way, because fans wanted to hear the songs as they were supposed to be, not some loonatic that is fuckin up a nice solo..

fredrik said that he had played Deliverance Peter's solo note to note, because he (Fredrik) is an Opeth fan and that's why he wants to play it maximally close to original.

I do say I have to admire him for keeping the songs original. Shows he's not being arrogant and what not. I think he's a great addition to the band.

How did they fuck up?

I believe it was the part right after the second solo section about 8:30 into the song. I don't remember if Fredrik or Mikael was playing the melody there, but somehow the rest of the band went into the next section too early and left Fredrik still playing the melody. I'm not sure how it happened, but they picked it back up pretty quickly. After the song, Mikael said "Did you notice the fuck-up?" He was in fine comedic form that night, as usual.

Umm... It's like asking "Do you prefer oranges or apples? Answer yes or no.". Just a tip: You might want to specify which one of the questions refers to the "YAY!!" option and which one refers to "NAY!!".

Sorry, maybe I should be more clear. Although a number of people seem to understand the question. I guess the bottom line is (as I've not seen Opeth live yet) does Fred do Peter's work justice live? Does he try to sound as close to Peter as possible, or does he kind of do his own thing? So, does he do Peter justice or not? YAY!! or NAY!!

Note: "YAY!!" = positive = YES!!
"NAY!!" = negative = NO!!

:)

I've been using the same analogy for this sort of thing since I was a kid and I'm sure it was because I actually asked my Mum if she wanted an apple or an orange, to which she replied "yes"

Is it a universal example or is this coincidental - yay or nay?

The funny thing is, 'yes' and 'no' actually do answer that question. 'Do you prefer apples or oranges?' could be interpreted as, 'Do you prefer either apples or oranges to the other?' You could say 'yes' or 'no' to that. 'Hey mom, do you want an apple or an orange?' could mean, 'Hey mom, do you want one of these two things?' She could say, 'Yes, I want one of those two things (as opposed to something else entirely).'

I obviously understand what you mean, but I just thought I'd point out that it does actually make sense, and that's humorous to me. =]

The funny thing is, 'yes' and 'no' actually do answer that question. 'Do you prefer apples or oranges?' could be interpreted as, 'Do you prefer either apples or oranges to the other?' You could say 'yes' or 'no' to that. 'Hey mom, do you want an apple or an orange?' could mean, 'Hey mom, do you want one of these two things?' She could say, 'Yes, I want one of those two things (as opposed to something else entirely).'

I obviously understand what you mean, but I just thought I'd point out that it does actually make sense, and that's humorous to me. =]

That's true. It was a bad example from my side, but the simplest one I could think of. :p

Example from my own life: I notice we have an apple and a banana left, so I ask my son "Do you want an apple or a banana?". He answers "Yes!", so I give him the apple and he goes "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!". So instead I give him the banana and he happily walks away with the banana in his hand, leaving me with the apple. That's more what I was thinking of when I posted. In this case, "Yes!" didn't mean "I want one of those two things, as opposed to something else entierly". It meant "I want one of those things, but not the other", which is quite confusing, since you don't know which one he's referring to.

So with this reasoning, thinking of the OP... "YAY!" would then mean "Fredrik does play Peters parts note by note, or add his own things" and "NAY!" would mean "Neither of those two"? I have a hard time finding an instance when the answer would be "NAY!" in this case, rendering the poll useless. ;)