Questions about alesis DM-5 triggering into logic on separate midi tracks with DKFH

jim82488

New Metal Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey guys, I am new to the board, this is my first post. I searched the board for a while for an answer to my questions but couldn't find the answer.

First off I am using Logic Pro 7.1 on a Powermac G5. I have an Alesis DM-5, with ddrum pro triggers. I am *thinking* about buying drumkit from hell (but I don't know which version to get, I was thinking this please correct me if I am wrong or not understanding it right http://www.soundsonline.com/Drumkit-From-Hell-2-pr-PSP06.html), and also drumagog.

Now here is what I want to do. I would like to trigger my kick and snare and maybe in some cases toms as well, and trigger the sounds in dkfh, BUT I would like them to be on separate midi tracks (one for kick, one for snare, tom 1, 2, 3, etc. so that I could add reverb, compressor, or whatever other effects to the tracks) Is this possible? If so how do you achieve this in Logic Pro?

If this setup is unachievable, I will buy drumagog, and dkfh. But another question I have is: Does dkfh come with wav samples as well so that you can import them into Drumagog? I'm not looking to use EZ drummer to program drums, just trigger them in real time.

Please help me out here the best you can! Any replies are much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

No clue how to do it in logic but the answer is yes it's totally doable (everything you asked).

Also: you probably want DFHS (drumkit from hell superior) not DFH2 (drumkit from hell 2).

And also: no the samples in DFH2 are not in wav form, in fact I have no idea what form they are in.

No clue how to do it in logic but the answer is yes it's totally doable (everything you asked).

Also: you probably want DFHS (drumkit from hell superior) not DFH2 (drumkit from hell 2).

And also: no the samples in DFH2 are not in wav form, in fact I have no idea what form they are in.

Thank you very much for the reply man, now why are you suggesting Drumkit From Hell Superior, and not 2? I dfkhs is $300.00 USD whereas dkfh2 is only $80.00USD. What am I getting more with superior that would constitute me spending all the extra cash?

Thanks!
:headbang:

Actually DFHS is $269 right now from Sweetwater.com. It's, and pardon the pun, superior to DFH2. DFH2 is very lame in comparison, I have both versions (DFHS and DFH2, as well as EZDrummer with all of the expansions) and DFHS is by far the most killer one available. However, if you really want to save some cash, and get great samples that are *already* in GOG format, I strongly suggest getting Steven Slate's drum sample disc. It comes in both WAV and GOG format on a single DVD for about $200US and is WELL worth the cost. Honestly in comparison to DFHS I find the snares and kicks a hell of a lot more usable from the get-go.

I own DFHS and DFH2...believe me you absolutely do NOT want DFH2.

~e.a

If you did purchase DFHS, the outputs come out as seperate tracks that you can either process in real time, or bounce and process at a later date, with the bounce you also get the extra ambience tracks like the ones from the underside of the toms.

I'd also really recommend the Slate samples over DFHS, that way you don't have another piece of software in there, you just have your outputs from your triggers, into your DAW, into Drumagog, job done.

Also Slate's samples are the best sounding samples I've ever heard, some guys on here use them, so search a bit and you can hear what they can sound like.

Overall, I'd only purchase something like DFHS if you're using it to program the drums in the first place, otherwise get some dedicated sample disks instead.

Thank you all very much for your replies. All of you guys have been a huge help. I think what I am going to do is just buy drumagog, as I like it and have used it before, and just gradually grab samples. I have downloaded a bunch from this board and all of them sound great. Drumagog seems like it will do exactly what I want it to do and simpler.

Keep it metal
:headbang: