Questions for JON OLIVA?

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
I am interviewing the Mountain King himself and would love to hear if you guys have any questions for him.

Special contest: First person who seriously asks anything related to a Savatage reunion, wins the "YOU SUCK" award of 2014. :lol:

Jon has obviously had a very lengthy and varied career. I'd be interested to know what does he consider to be his crowning achievement, the one thing he thinks about and says "yeah, I created that!" with the most pride.

Jon has obviously had a very lengthy and varied career. I'd be interested to know what does he consider to be his crowning achievement, the one thing he thinks about and says "yeah, I created that!" with the most pride.

I like that one. I would really like to hear his answer.

To answer this, I would refer you to my question above, and the answer should be self-evident! :headbang:

Is there even another artist who is more of an open book than Jon????
He has been EXTREMELY open about EVERYTHING related to Savatage and TSO, and how he chooses to operate both TSO and JOP these days.

The one question though which I would ask (which would be the same I would ask Zak) is does he ever feel frustrated that no matter how great of a new album he makes (either with JOP or solo) the vast majority of the crowd wants to hear Savatage live? Or is it just something that he has grown to accept. Does that ever take away from any effort put forward into a new release?

Just as there was a vault of recordings from Jon's brother, I imagine that there were a number of unreleased collaborations with Matt LaPorte. Can Jon confirm this, and if so, is there a good chance that we'll hear this material somewhere down the line?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Jon has written many great songs....what one song from another artist,does Jon wish he had written?

(This one can work for any artist)

We've all heard that you hate the song "Sirens" and wish you didn't have to play it every show. What other songs that you've written do you think are way more popular than they deserve? Which songs do you think should have become fan favorites but never did?

Steve in Philly

Yes I second the Matt Laporte question! He was incredible guitarist and met him several times and he was so humble!

(This one can work for any artist)

We've all heard that you hate the song "Sirens" and wish you didn't have to play it every show. What other songs that you've written do you think are way more popular than they deserve? Which songs do you think should have become fan favorites but never did?

Steve in Philly

Huh? Did I read this right? "Sirens" more popular than it deserves to be?? Jeeezzz.... :lol:

In a lot of Jon's music, he speaks of "all the pain down here on earth". Does he BELIEVE there is a God? If so, does he BELIEVE that God is kind and forgiving? How does he rationalize if God is kind, why is there all this pain on Earth? I have my answer, but I would like to know his thoughts. He has endured through his career and life with a number of his close friends dying.

BTW, I am a DIE-HARD Savatage fan. IMHO, JOP's music is in every way as brilliant as Savatage. The main difference is obvious (RIP, Criss). "Maniacal Renderings" was as good as ANYTHING he did with Savatage. So, yeah, I love to hear the Sava stuff (didn't know he didn't like Sirens), but I would still go if he just played JOP.

Chris :headbang:

I would just ask, "Jon, why are you such a badass motherfucker?" :)

Ok, ok, serious question. Just how close was the band to breaking up after Fight for the Rock? I've always heard that was a bad time for them.

I am not familiar with the entire catalog from JOP, so this question is more specific to the Savatage catalog.........

Was it ever a challenge to sing to alternate tunings, or were the alternate tunings done to make the song easier vocally?

I attended the songwriting workshop a couple of years ago at ProgPower, and it seemed like musical and lyrical ideas literally flowed out of Jon's brain as easily as water pours out of a faucet.

Is that usually the case with Jon's songwriting, or have there been songs that he struggled to complete?