Quick Metalcore Mix (Slate Trigger, miked amps)

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
So I've been doing mixing for a band. The dude records his music in his home studio and then I mix and master. Well, last night the guy sends me a message saying a metalcore band down the street came over and recorded a song in his studio, and he was wondering if I could do a quick mix for them. So I made something in a couple hours and I was just curious what people here thought of the sound, as I don't typically mix or listen to metalcore.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1579861/Metalcore_Mix_SubTStudios.mp3

All I know is the guitars were miked amps, but I don't know what amps they were :lol:
Kick and Snare were replaced using the Slate Trigger demo
Overheads are mono since they only used one mic
I didn't have any input on the recording (I just receive 320kbps mp3s for each track), and I didn't do any drum editing/tightening.

That's about it.
I appreciate any comments

To me the voice sounds too much on top of everything else. It could sink a bit better in the mix. I dig the bass and rythm guitar sound.

Kind of dumb recording and way of working this guy has (wtf @ giving mp3s for mix and mono OHs...), but whatever, out of your control.

Guitars sound good, maybe just "opening" them a little in the high-mid area, but not so sure. Not digging the kick, sounds kind of tacky, but it seems that it's common these days. Would try to blend the voice a little more, a little bit of deessing wouldn't hurt IMO.

Some of the drum sections (especially the fills...) are so sloppy, and so are the doublebass o_O

sounds like you did the best with what you had, next time tell him to just track DI's and send raw everything... jeesh. mono overheads o_0??? better idea, get in touch with the band and tell them to just work directly with you.