quick question about DIY monitor stands

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
I see alot of projects use PVC with sand in the base as a vibration absorber. If i made stands out of plywood, but put my mopads underneath my monitors, will there still be vibration issues? i tried to search but couldnt find my exact question anywhere. Thanks for any replys

I'm not sure, but when I made my stands I used rough cut 1x6. I caulked all the seams and filled it with sand. I also use mopads as well and have had no issues.

I'm not sure, but when I made my stands I used rough cut 1x6. I caulked all the seams and filled it with sand. I also use mopads as well and have had no issues.

By rough cut 1x6 you mean wood right? If so, what exactly did you fill with sand? Unless im just misunderstanding how you made it lol

I used two sheets of 5/8" laminated together using construction adhesive and about a half dozen 1" wood screws for good measure. Haven't had any issues at all with vibration and both the base and speaker shelf are solid. I am not using mopads though, but rather 3 of the half moon marbles from a fish tank to decouple the speakers - the stereo image is solid. I think one of the best things to do though is decoupling the stand from the floor with either metal or rubber feet (depending on what's on your floor of course).

How do you plan to make them stiff enough using plywood?

BTW, 1x6 refers to measurements in inches

SpeakersOnStands2.jpg.w300h636.jpg

I saw these on a tutorial and thats what gave me the idea. It would be so much more convienent to do this if it works the same as PVC and sand etc. ones seeing as how i already have the wood for it.

By rough cut 1x6 you mean wood right? If so, what exactly did you fill with sand? Unless im just misunderstanding how you made it lol

Hahah sorry, yeah I meant wood it's just not smooth faced wood. I made a pillar by using a nail gun and gunnin 4 pieces roughly 35-40 inches tall together to a base. Then I filled it with sand and put another "base" on top. I have a picture that I took before I painted it.
Photo0118.jpg
. Not really hard at all and pretty cheap but if you want more details I'll gladly give you more when Im not half asleep.