Quick question about drum triggers

RLab

Jun 15, 2010
Lyon (Fr)
Hi guys !
I just got my DDrum Redshot triggers (yeah I know, "they break easily", "not reliable"... but they are cheap so wait and see :D) and I tried one on a snare, just for a quick test. Plugged straight into my Saffire Pro 40.
When recorded, I can actually hear the sound of a snare (well a shitty snare sound), is it normal ? I was expecting triggers just to record the transient and not the actual sound, am I doing something wrong or is it fine ?
Thanks in advance :)

This is very odd......I JUST got a text from our drummers gf saying she just ordered these exact triggers for our drummer and she was asking what else she needed to get him for him to plug in and go. It appears they need 1/4" instrument cables....

BUT - here's my question:

For live use, what would be needed? We have a Roland SPD-S which has trigger inputs....but Im not sure exactly how that works. And for recording - we'd just plug 1/4" from trigger to audio interface and go?

This is very odd......I JUST got a text from our drummers gf saying she just ordered these exact triggers for our drummer and she was asking what else she needed to get him for him to plug in and go. It appears they need 1/4" instrument cables....

BUT - here's my question:

For live use, what would be needed? We have a Roland SPD-S which has trigger inputs....but Im not sure exactly how that works. And for recording - we'd just plug 1/4" from trigger to audio interface and go?

Yep. Though, you might find it easier to record MIDI out of the module into your interface. It won't use up any inputs, so you can use more mics, and you can apply Superior, SSD, whatever on the track instead of using Trigger or drumagog to replace the sound, or convert to MIDI.

Thanks! I know nothing about how to set up the SPD-S but the drummer and other guitarist knows a bit. None of us own EZ Drummer/Superior/Slate?any of that stuff. Just a bunch of mics and PT9 and Reaper.....guess we'll have to mess around with this stuff.

I actually think the SPD-S only has one trigger input? I'm honestly not familiar with that model, but I don't think you can use more than one with it. I could very well be wrong, though.

If that's the case, he'd need something like an Alesis DM-5 module, which go fairly cheap on the used market, if he wants to use multiple triggers live.

+1 on the DM5, can be had on the cheap and will take like 8+ trigger inputs IIRC. There is one in the other room but I am too lazy to go check.

I keep forgetting about doing things that way, would save me using 4-5 channels in the stagebox for triggers that could be coming through midi instead. Need to get me a drum module.