Quick Randall R212CB test run (BDM DI's)

Ok... Well, to be honest I don't think it's a fair comparison cause each speaker would require a "fine tuning" in both the mic placement and the amp settings but it shows that the Randall generally sounds more defined and focused (to my ears, some will say harsh or fizzy).

I'm pretty sure each of them could be improved 100% with a bit of work. I wish I had more free time to make a real scientific shootout.

I like the fact that the Randall doesn't sound like a smaller cabinet (It's as wide and as deep as the bottom of the Mesa)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2973685/AUDIO.rar

Naah, the Mesa sounds way better unless you purposefully gave them wrong titles. Randall LEFT isn't even close in most aspects and it's quite boomy. Randall Right is quite better but still not as good as either Mesa clip - it's a bit boomy and its mids just can't compare (the Mesa is somehow smooth and agressive at the same time).

Naah, the Mesa sounds way better unless you purposefully gave them wrong titles. Randall LEFT isn't even close in most aspects and it's quite boomy. Randall Right is quite better but still not as good as either Mesa clip - it's a bit boomy and its mids just can't compare (the Mesa is somehow smooth and agressive at the same time).

Well Randall left is probably the worst of the bunch and it's all because of faulty mic placement. I fucked up. I'll give you that.(then again, that's the one you are hearing in the rough mix)

Now I must say Randall right is not far from the ideal raw material I have in my head. It's sharp and articulate , but not abrasive.

The thing is when I compare my tones to say Colin Richardson who must have some of the brightest distorded tones in the business, or even the raw guitars that andy posted once, I cry a little :bah: cause I don't hear that blanketed top end that I hear everytime with my Mesa.
This darker almost unresponsive tone has bugged from day one.

Also, I don't find those tones boomy at all...:confused:

Well Randall left is probably the worst of the bunch and it's all because of faulty mic placement. I fucked up. I'll give you that.(then again, that's the one you are hearing in the rough mix)

Now I must say Randall right is not far from the ideal raw material I have in my head. It's sharp and articulate , but not abrasive.

The thing is when I compare my tones to say Colin Richardson who must have some of the brightest distorded tones in the business, or even the raw guitars that andy posted once, I cry a little :bah: cause I don't hear that blanketed top end that I hear everytime with my Mesa.
This darker almost unresponsive tone has bugged from day one.

Also, I don't find those tones boomy at all...:confused:
Only when it's playing a certain note - then 120hz jumps out.

Doesn't Colin boost the highs, though? I think I haven't heard his tones without processing.

Only when it's playing a certain note - then 120hz jumps out.

Seem like a fairly normal and manageable cabinet or speaker resonance to me... It's less obtrusive in the Mesa but not crippling imo.

Doesn't Colin boost the highs, though? I think I haven't heard his tones without processing.
Yeah, he surely does to some extent... But he uses a GML... Can't afford that yet unfortunately.;)
My idea is to avoid to boost the highs with a plugin as much as possible.
I'd rather have too much of them and have to cut them a bit.
I don't know, maybe that's backward thinking but I never had much luck with plugins (including CLQ nebula programms).

Anyway. It's just day two with the Randall and I'm not saying I will sell the Mesa anytime soon, but I'm most definitely excited to use the new one.